Serial Number Decifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number Decifer

Can someone decifer this serial number from my new 1951 Champion Starlight Coupe. G 893463. I'm going today to transfer the title (in California). I only have a bill of sale and the last registration from 1979. The VIN on the registration card is 801266. Has any one dealt with this in CA? I understand that years ago the serial # could be different than the VIN. Thanks for your help, John

There is a very good possibility that your engine number was recorded as the SN on the title.

The No. G983463 IS the car's Serial Number, stamped on a plate on one of the door posts. IT is not a VIN as they are known today, not decipherable. The G indicates it is a Champion, the number is simply the next number in the series as the body moved down the assembly line.

Look on the machined pad on the upper left corner of the block, just below the head for the other number. If the engine hasn't been changed, it will be there. Take this information to the DMV and explain what you need.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Unlike today's VIN's, the serial number does not provide information on transmission, rear end, paint, etc. It DOES tell us what plant the car came from. 1951 Champion serial numbers began at 1,000,001 for South Bend produced cars. Los Angeles at 889,101, and Canadian at 724,501.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I just registered my 9G Champ in Ca in Dec. I had bought the car in NoCal in 1976 and then took it to OR. The title had a number for the serial number that was not the serial number. We only found this when a friend from the CHP came over to verify the serial number on the car. The vin I had on the title from OR was actually the part number from the intake manifold. Just 6 digits. The Serial number on the drivers post was, like yours started with a "G-" Because I have the car verified by the CHP or Sheriff, or in at the DMV, there was just one additional piece of paper work that I needed to fill out. re-titling in Ca was no problem. I don't see that you will have a problem either. Good luck!

Mark

Comment

Just to reiterate in case you encounter a police officer or DMV person who is too young to know that VINs haven't been around since the automobile was invented: the current 17-digit VIN did not come into use until 1981, so no Studebaker has ever been assigned a VIN. Prior to 1981, the term used was serial number, and every manufacturer had their own system. To further complicate matters, until around 1955, California used the engine number, not the serial number, for registration purposes.

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I just had a DMV guy come out to verify mine in NC. It was the first Studebaker he had ever seen. In fact he wasn't sure how to pronounce it. He had to ask me where to find the S/N plate.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

In California it is very simple to get an old car or truck back in the title mode with DMV, first if you know it is not stolen, and regestration is not in the system then all you need is Vin vitrifaction and best to use a police officer it does not need to be a CHP officer any one can do it, once that is done fill the paper work for new title and a statement of fact, with that you just state you have owned the car or truck for a long time and the title got lost in years past and be sure you use the number off the vin tag and nothing else, have no plates on the car and no extra paper around at this time the less you have and say the better and then the worst it is the long wait in line at DMV, the less you deal with the people at DMV the better, most of them only got the job because they first got fired from home depot or Mac Donald's just did 2 of the yesterday, went smooth as silk and cost $69.00 each got new plates and stickers.

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Well, Here's the deal. The so called VIN on the registration from 1979 was the original engine number. And, of course the engine has been changed. The DMV wants the numbers verified and I don't have a number that matches the old registration. Could it be that the number on the engine is also stamped someplace else?

Comment

e-mail sent.

Comment

Working...
                  X