Tissue Dispenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tissue Dispenser

John bought this tissue dispenser last year at the International Meet with the thought of possibly having it re-chromed and installing it in George (the '57 President Classic.) A little time has passed, the garage has been cleaned, the tissue dispenser has resurfaced, and now John has LuLu the wagon. Can you guess where this is going?

Our question is whether anyone can give us any information on this tissue dispenser. Are they fairly common? Is it worth re-chroming? Would it be "period-correct" in any of our vehicles? We'd appreciate any recommendations.

Here's the link to a similar tissue dispenser (NOS and a different year) on ebay right now. There's not much of a comparison, but it got us thinking about the different styles for different years:

Edit: Just noticed this is your item, Matthew! Hope you get top dollar!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

Can't answer any of your questions unfortunetly. Can you guys post a pic of what it looks like in your wagon though? I'd love to have one in mine.

Dylan Wills
    [IMG][/IMG]
    '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The one on ebay I have is for a friend (along with many other parts yet to be listed). Doesn't look like it'll sell though. It's just about as perfect as one could ask for.

He also has one for sale with a Lark emblem. About the most ornate tissue box they made.

Comment

Tracy and John, I am calling your tissue dispenser a 1952 or close to that, not from any documentation but just looking at it's style.
        All of these styles are rare and valuable as not many remain.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've got one for a GM, so I've been watching them. NOS ones for GM have been selling in the $300-350 range. Probably Stude-specific ones would be worth a bit less since we know that's the general rule of thumb.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
          Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

I have one like that,it came in a 55 President.bought the car from the origional owner,and he said it was installed when he first got the car.

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

John and Tracy, as mentioned above, that is not period correct, but is still an extremely nice item to have. The one that would be correct for Lulu would be the other one that Matthew has from Tom. I had one in my last convertible. Found it nos at the SB May swap meet from Phil Brown for $75...in 1997. It was unopened in the box, which had the correct part number on it. It will have a small circular Lark logo in the middle of it in black and silver.

Edit: I know that they came out with a quality steel tissue dispenser just like the one you have except with a small Lark logo that mounts under the dash some time in 1960, because I had one. However, I misspoke when I said it wasn't period correct as that very one you have is in the 1960 Accessories catalog! AC-2366. [B)]
              Not sure when that style first came out, but it was right there under my nose and I didn't do my homework, sorry. I have one of those plastic versions and they aren't nearly as nice, or durable, but still cool to have. Not many left, either way. It will only add value to it to have it properly re-chromed. Nice find. [^]

Comment

I've been looking at them for years on eBay.They typically go for around $100 in decent shape. I finally got one for my car but we haven't test fit it to see if it will go under the dash with all the vintage air stuff.

If I can't fit it in my car, it will go in my truck. I'm having mine re-chromed.

Jon Stalnaker
                Editor, Hawk Talks
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

This is probably what you're looking for for Lulu:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Sorry. That's not a Christmas present for you. Sold the three or four NOS ones I had on eBay a few years back.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I hadf one im my 1953 Commander Starlight Coupe when I bought it in 1963. Studebaker had a part number on them, but I can't find it right now. I thought they were stainless, but I stopped polishing mine when I sat the nickel showing. On some the lettering was painted white and some red. I think white was original/

duane miller

Comment

That is a late 50's and came in two flavors..... with white paint in the embossed steel and as you see it and without paint. All of the examples I have seen of these and have in my possesion are made of stainless steel, this is the first non stainless steel one I have seen.

There is a 47-52 on E-bay right now selling at around $100 with original box and original Kleenx tissues. That should sell if money is loose for around $195-$225.

In the past I have sold some of these as high as $175, but that was when collections had not surfaced. I would just clean yours up with a good polish. Chroming is not cheap.

That particular design is also valid for Chevrolet, Pontiac and maybe the entire GM line. I was verbally attacked by a group of Chevy owners when I said they had a Studebaker tissue dispenser in a guy's Impala. They had photos of that dispenser in a Chevy book. By the time these were made options like these were no longer as popular as they were in the 40's.

If there is an odd looking clip attached to the swivel mount then this one came from a Hawk series car which required an adapter so it would mount level as the dash has a draft angle to it.

Bill G

Comment

The 1953 Accessory booklet shows one just like you picture. It states, in part;"...chromed-faced dispenser has newly designed swival mounting..."

To me, that would indicate, at least for 1953, they were chrome, not stainless steel.

I only have the plastic Lark type left now.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have once just like John and Tracy Smith's one, and it came out of a 57 President, cost about $100, and had a period Kleenex box in it (with a vintage price tag I'll be putting it in either a 57 Champion or a 57 Champion []

That one that Matthew was selling for the earlier models 47-52 was quite the beauty.

Now, does anyone have the Lark type for sale? AC3154.

Jim B on PEI
                          63 Wagonaire 259 o/d
                          57 Champion W4 o/d
                          57 Champion W4 automatic
                          57 Commander W4 automatic

Comment

Does anyone have one that will fit a 55 Champion ?

Comment

There is one in my 54 Conestoga, appears to be original, I have not tried to clean it up,but appears to be in similar shape to the yours John.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
                              '54 Conestoga Future Project

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X