Change to disc brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change to disc brakes

I am a new member looking to buy a 57 hawk. Assuming I get one, I want to change over to a double bowl master cylinder and disc brakes. One person said you could do this using jeep parts. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I run a small machine shop so I can do some machining if necessary. I would think getting a linkage from the brake pedal to the MC would be the biggest challenge, but as of now I don't know what i'm getting into here. I just got back from the Studebaker Museum in South Bend--I was like a kid in a candy store--neat place. As always, Thanks in advance!

Check out www.turnerbrakes.com
    Dual master cylinder brackets here:

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28
    4E2
    59 Lark
    etc

Comment

Welcome, DWard!

I HIGHLY recommend Jim Turner's products! Jim's a great guy- always there to help if you need... and his kits are already engineered and tested- all the hard part's done- and the prices are right!

Remember, conversions like this involve tons of trial-and-error just to get it set up; then tons of testing to be sure you've got a durable and safe design... which is why Turner's products are the way to go!!

Good luck, and again- welcome!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

There is also Steeltech disc brakes available, might want to do some
        research on his products as well. Since you have your own machine
        shop, depending on your level of mechanical ability, you might look
        into adding a second single master along side the existing one. They
        are bolt through housings, and one could be used for the front, one
        for the rear, linkage made to move both when the pedal is pressed.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by DWard..a 57 hawk. Assuming I get one, I want to change over to a double bowl master cylinder and disc brakes. .... I run a small machine shop...
        '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Check out www.turnerbrakes.com
          Dual master cylinder brackets here:

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28
          4E2
          59 Lark
          etc
          [:0] Oops, be careful: Jim's website is www.turnerbrake.com (not brakes; plural). Clicking on www.turnerbrakes.com will not get you to Jim's website. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I do not recommend Steeltech. Still waiting on a refund from parts sent back in Oct of 2006. Did not fit as advertised. Refused to talk over the phone, keeps making excuses and still no refund.
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I've used two different sets of Steel Tech brakes on two different cars with no problem. No fitup problems at all, worked very well.

That said...if they are not helping out with problems via phone or internet...that's a big negitive to consider.

The Turner Kit uses the same disc and caliper...the caliper bracket is totally different. Turners also supplies steel braided front fluid lines, Steel Tech uses OEM rubber. The Turner bracket is visually, very nicely manufactured.

The Turner kit has two things I don't like - 1. the caliper bracket is two pieces...held together with fasteners, and 2. they are designed to stop a VERY big truck. That relates to way too much weight out on the spindle.
              Both of these two things are big negitives in my book.

That's why I designed and built my own. Also see sbca's brakes.
              It's really not that hard to do as long as you have some fabrication skills and can basically copy a factory (of some kind) bracketry.

To see how excessivly heavy some parts are, look at the OEM Avanti front caliper bracket and compare!

That's my two cents worth.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van VeghtenTo see how excessivly heavy some parts are, look at the OEM Avanti front caliper bracket and compare!

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

We ordered a front and rear set from Dave L. at Steeltech. The front fit went okay. The rear disc set up for the dana 44 with the new flanged axles was the problem. We could have worked it out if he had just botherd to spend 5 minutes with me on the phone standing in front of the rear end and brake set up. The rotors did not "center" on the new flanged axles. I got frustrated with his lack of communication and concern and e-mailed asking to send the rear set up back for a refund. He replied by e-mail to send them back for refund. UPS delivered them to him on October 11,2006. He asked for the address to send refund too several times and was given it several times. After further inquirey, he finally said he needed to sell another set in order to have funds for refund. That was in December. It is now almost March and I have not received any more communication from him. Too much money down the tube.
                  Never again will I do or recommend some one else do business with Steeltech.
                  I am now using Nimesh's set up using Corvette componets. Will let every one know how it goes when the car is back together and on the road.
                  64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Tom.

Mike

Comment

I have heard of people using Corvette parts, the calipers are probably
                      the same as my Cobra ones (PBR), but the rotor bolt pattern is wrong.
                      The Mustang still uses the same bolt pattern as Stude, thats why I went
                      with them. Fairborn was mentioning a setup he made with Vette parts,
                      is that the Nimesh one?

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

I am now using Nimesh's set up using Corvette componets.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

I have heard of people using Corvette parts, the calipers are probably
                        the same as my Cobra ones (PBR), but the rotor bolt pattern is wrong.
                        The Mustang still uses the same bolt pattern as Stude, thats why I went
                        with them. Fairborn was mentioning a setup he made with Vette parts,
                        is that the Nimesh one?

Tom

quote:
                        I don't know. Yes, I had to re-drill the rotors but it is a slick light weight set-up.

I am now using Nimesh's set up using Corvette componets.
                        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Are they aluminum rotor centers with steel pad contact disc? I have
                          seen these for road race Mustang Cobras - very trick. Corvettes use
                          the same PBR Caliper that the Cobra uses - depending on year. The
                          only difference is the Corvette has fins and "Corvette" on the side,
                          the Cobra has no fins and has "Cobra" on the side. I opted for the
                          Mach 1 calipers, which say nothing on the side, but look like Cobras.

Aluminum rotors (only the center is aluminum).

Sorry for the delay on getting brackets to you. I am both excited and
                          a little scared of sending you a set. Excited to hear back with what
                          you think of them, and also scared to hear back with what you think of
                          them. After your dealings with Steeltech, you're already pissed.[]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by KdancyI had to re-drill the rotors but it is a slick light weight set-up.

Comment

Tom, when are you going to have me a set? I could use them now.

53commander HDTP
                            53 Champion HDTP
                            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                            64 Champ long bed V8
                            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

With the other things that keep coming up, and since I have no time
                              to do anything during the week, I still havent test fitted the first
                              article CNC set on the car.[:I] The CNC guy went on a vacation so it
                              has been slow getting a few things changed/added that I decided to
                              do before the next set is made. I was hoping to swap the brackets on
                              this weekend and take some pictures for the magazine article. If that
                              happens, and I can get back with the CNC guy, things will start going
                              again. My commuter cars come first, toys second, unfortunately.[B)]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Tom, when are you going to have me a set? I could use them now.

Comment

Working...
                              X