Decent 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent 4 door

Not a car for me, but should find a new home.

JDP Maryland
    JDP Maryland

I knew of one just like it while stationed in San Diego not long ago.
    If a San Diego history can be confirmed~

that is a SCREAMIN' DEAL!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Not a car for me, but should find a new home.

JDP Maryland

I've watched it on craigslist for a year or so, coming down in price $500 at a time.

JDP Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Really decent looking - only on the wrong coast

Comment

WOW. If that were '55 Chevy Bel Air in same condition it would be what...$6000?

KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I give up on 4 doors. We just sold a very nice 63 4 door driver on ebay for $1800 and the new owner was expecting a show car. We had to send him a check for $300 and a generator and regulator because it quit charging. I'd love to save more bread and butter Studebakers, but in general, the cheaper they are, the more critical the frugal new owner is. If I buy a 10K Hawk and the fuel pump or alternator takes a dump, I just chalk it up to a age failure. If you sell a cheap car to a CASO, they may whine over a $50 part failure.
            Sadly, my favorite bidder is a street rodder, they just want a decent body to add all new stuff to and love fixing minor issues. Risking a negative on a cheap 4 door to try and save it is just too risky for a dealer.

JDP Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Risking a negative on a cheap 4 door to try and save it is just too risky for a dealer.
              "I feel ya, brah," as my friends say - but thanks big time for posting these on this forum. Some of us actually like 4Ds (I'm weird that way) and $2K for a running '55? Can't beat that with a stick. If I were still in SoCal I'd be driving this one home.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

the cheaper they are, the more critical the frugal new owner is. If you sell a cheap car to a CASO, they may whine over a $50 part failure.

Boy did you hit that on the head. You're talking about the collector world, but it's exponentially worse in the modern car world! What I found is just what John said- if I sell a $5-10K vehicle and something goes wrong, the buyer calls and we fix it. If I sell a $1 or 2K car and something goes wrong, those buyers go nuts, call the State, threaten you personally, etc. The lower the selling price of a vehicle, the more perfect it's expected to be.

At least once a week I get asked for a $1K car- just a cheapie for a second car. I tell them I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I guess I must be the "odd ball" buyer because I have always accepted the fact that a used car is just that, "USED". When I have bought a older car I always expect to spend money on it.
                  JDP I really enjoy looking at your "Saves" on Studebakers and if I were closer the little Brown Lark would have come to NC. I had a '59 4 door Lark back in the late 60's that I loved.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55champion

I guess I must be the "odd ball" buyer because I have always accepted the fact that a used car is just that, "USED". When I have bought a older car I always expect to spend money on it.
                    JDP I really enjoy looking at your "Saves" on Studebakers and if I were closer the little Brown Lark would have come to NC. I had a '59 4 door Lark back in the late 60's that I loved.

Just picked up two coupes, a 53 and a 54, both probably rod material.

JDP Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55champion

I'd say you are not the "odd ball" in that you are realistic. If anybody thinks they can buy a 50+ year old car for under $3000 and not to expect to have to fix stuff they are the strange ones. You've got to expect stuff like that. But many people don't.

Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Holy crap!! I guess I'm so dumb I didn't even know you could carp about a car you bought sight unseen. I've just always just "paid my money and took my chances" if it needed work when I got it I fixed it and kept my mouth shut. Too imbarassed to say I make a bad buy I guess
                        E

Comment

Working...
                        X