Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 GH Power Steering FLUIDS ??????

I TRIED THIS OVER ON THE TECHNICAL AREA

Anyone know the 90W multipurpose oil you use in the 56J Power Steering Unit?

Thanks

Unless that car is different, most seem to use transmission fluid or power steering fluid in the power steering unit. Just a guess.

Comment

Bill, I don't know anyone who still markets a straight, 90-weight multipupose gear oil.

The best you'll be able to do, and it will be acceptable, is an 80W-90 multipurpose gear oil with a GL-5 rating, such as Valvoline #VV831. Resist the temptation to use synthetic or semi-synthetic because it would be more inclined to leak out, if it could find a way, and those units are hard enough to seal and keep dry as it is.

CAUTION: Once you have a bottle of that material on your shelf, DO NOT use it in a conventional or conventional with overdrive Studebaker transmission. If you use a mineral (gear) oil in those applications, it must have only a GL-1 rating. The GL-1 rating will not have additives in it that can attack brass in some manual transmission components. [8D]BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was able to get the GL-5 and some of the other stuff also plus a few years ago someone gave me a quart of real 90W. Thanks for your help the car and I appreciate it.
        BG

Comment

You don't want to put a GL5 spec in any older box with yellow metals for bushings and thrust washers. The GL5 will corrode those metals

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X