What Spark Gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Spark Gap?

I am running Autolite 85 plugs in the Hawk (289 full flow engine), since July of last year. They have been working fine, but because I need to replace the valve seals (got the parts, just need the time now[:I]) the plugs are now fouled. Also since I replaced the plugs I have installed a Pertronix Ignition and Coil.

The question is: Do I need to regap the plugs to a wider gap, and if so what should they be gapped to now that I have the electronic ignition and alcohol containing gasoline!![)] Or should I stay with the repair manual spark plug gap recommendation?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I don't know what Pertronix uses for their recommendations, but most kits that convert from points generally say you can open the gap by .010", and reduce it if you feel a miss. The one thing is you can't always feel when en engine misses. You might try opening the gap by .005" at first and see what happens. Some recommend leaving the gap at the factory original setting. You have nothing to lose but some time by trying a bit bigger gap and seeing how it runs.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Been explained before.
      Stick with .035" gap, checked with a wire type gage.

Unless you get a high power ignition, like an MSD digital or better....stick with the .035.

Plus, when you increase the gap far enough to make it worthwile, this taxes the rest of the system. You need top of the line wires, cap and rotor. If you don't get very good secondary parts, the standard quality parts will not last as long as they will if the parts are used as designed.

Keep it simple, when using standard parts, use them as designed.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X