PH Saggy butt - Rear springs needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PH Saggy butt - Rear springs needed?

My 58 PH rear end seems to be much lower this year.

I have not had to rebuild or re-arch any other Studes in the past, although I have heard of others doing it.

I think this was the first year of the asymetrical springs. Is this a PH issue? What should I pay to get rebuilt if necessary? Are new available?

Tires the same...? Anything in the trunk (you know-all the stuff you need for a trip) ?

Comment

Get another set of main leafs cut the knobs off with a saw or grinder [no torch]. remove second leaf and install main leaf with knobs removed. I have done it a lot and have had no problems.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Perhaps you have a beetle in your trunk...that will cause a saggy butt. Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Other than some NOS fin mylar, nothing serious in the trunk.

Maybe its me - it sags a little more on the drivers side!

No bugs that I know of. However, I've had lots of mice in some other cars.

Thanks for the leaf spring suggestion - I have a couple of sets hanging around.

Paul

Comment

I've always found the coil helper springs to do the job nicely. Especially if I plan on loading the car with luggage and etc.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I had the same problem with my '64 Daytona; with a couple of kids in the back seat, it would hit the rubber axle bumper going over bumps. I took the rear springs to a spring shop and had them rearched, plus they added a leaf. It sat a little high, but has since settled down, and rides great. They suggested the extra leaf because they said the rearched units would eventually sag again with moderate use.[8D]

Comment

Paul, have you been carrying around a Hammond B3 in the trunk of your Packard? (lol).
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                X