Studebaker letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker letter

The price is silly, but the contents give some insight into how the rich live. I don't think Motel Six would remodel a room for me.

JDP Maryland
    Disclaimer:
    None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
    JDP Maryland

Signed presidential letters do not bring that type of money and the author of this one is a generation removed from the founders of the company. Someone would be crazy to place a bid at that opening price.

Comment

I've been in this place, and bought a piece from them once for a good price. The guy who sold it to me was surprised at its relatively low price. I've noticed their prices are all over the place, so I'm thinking there are different people assigning values.

They once had, and probably still have, what was purported to be the only existing letter written by Jesse James. They wanted $1,000,000 for it, and it wasn't on display in the showroom.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Maynard
        They once had, and probably still have, what was purported to be the only existing letter written by Jesse James.
        The one where he apologizes to Sandra Bullock?

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think the seller is one generation removed from sanity. Sorry. [:0] I could remodel half of of my own house with that kind of money. What would be the draw in owning a condescending letter reft with entitlement, anyway?
          Nice homes and a great vacation spot surrounding that Rye Beach area now. Most people aren't even aware of the twenty some miles of beautiful beach south of Maine that New Hampshire has, but they probably really catered to those folks back then as it was even more exclusive. Reminds me of the attitude in Titanic.

Comment

Be nice to have in my collection but not for that price. I can buy another Studebaker for that money
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The one where he apologizes to Sandra Bullock?

Oh, man...the one place I thought I wasn't going to see that name today!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Be nice to have in my collection but not for that price. I can buy another Studebaker for that money
                Hey Don, you would be buying a Studebaker! heh-heh.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I have a letter signed by Herbert Hoover addressed to Albert Erskine at Studebaker inviting him to come to Washington in the mid twenties for a safety meeting between vehicle manufacturers to reduce road fatalities which were around 24000 nationally.
                  Only cost me $25 at the time. Now that is definitely better value!!

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                  MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

Jim: You're right about that. A much better deal, even at the $25 price. By the way, this same letter was listed a year or so ago by the same seller for about half the current asking price. I think he could list it at $500 and still not get any takers.

toyman

Comment

I can honestly say he thinks like I do. I'm not a fan of first floor hotel or motel rooms either because of all the inordinate stomping around from the people above me that I have to hear all night long. [)]

The furniture arrangements I've never contended with other than maybe an additional cot. That's gotta be something where if you have a person of wealth coming into town, that it's best to appeal to what they need because they could make for some great repeat business. That and they appear to be contending with renting out a vacation house to a person of money, so it has to be up to snuff if they expect them to come back next year .

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                      X