Ready Or Not.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready Or Not.....

Well, it was 1992, I had been married for 2 years and we had just bought our third house. It was a major fixer upper and I was transitioning to a new job. I had just sold the little SBC I had in my Lark for a summer and didn't have the time or money to start the restoration I had in mind.

I had a lot on my plate at the time, but had to make some sort of a plan. I sorted ideas and dreams in my head for a while and came up with one. I picked a time far in the future, when all other projects would be done and I wouldn't have anything else to do, but work on my '59.

That brings us to today, March 31, 2010. I hoped that on this magical birthday, I would still have enough strength to climb out of my rocking chair to work on my pride and joy, even at the ripe old age of 45![:0]

So, ready or not I need to start making some progress. Luckily, I've learned a thing or two over the last 18 years, working as a tech and owning my own shop restoring and rodding dozens of cars. The money is still as tight as it was back then, but I can't use that (or my time line plan) as an excuse anymore. I've got big plans and I'm not getting any younger, so here it goes.........[8D]

A quick edit: I nearly forgot, for those of you who haven't heard my first car story a dozen times, this day also marks the 30th anniversary of getting the keys to it in a birthday card from my Uncle.

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Happy birthday, Skinny.

Sounds like you're giving yourself the best present you could possibly get.

Don't suppose I could borrow your uncle sometime around July...? I may not be fifteen anymore but it's never too late to hope.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Sounds great, if your Uncle has any extra Birthday cards he needs to send out I have a son who will be looking for his first set of wheels this summer.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you are back at your project. I just hope you had another cool ride for the past 18 years, as it breaks my heart to think that you and your fimily missed all of those valuable years of driving around the country. Long term projects are fun as long as you have a backup car for those days when your car friends are all heading off to a Rod Run, Car Show, Club Picnic or even just a Sunday drive.
        I hope you have learned enough along the way to make this a smooth and effortless build. And a car that you can pour the miles to.
        Good Luck!
        & Good Roads
        Brian
        PS I too have started on a project I have been waiting 45 years for!

Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

GO FOR IT!!!!

Comment

With the experience and knowledge you have gained in all those years, you are going to get a LOT of joy out of that project.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

[)] Piece of cake. [)]

Fixing/sprucing up the pride and joy.

ChopStu

116 weeks till completion.
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Happy birthday Skinny! Good luck on your project.

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
                In the middle of Minnestudea
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by woodysrods

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you are back at your project. I just hope you had another cool ride for the past 18 years.....
                  Thanks Brian and all. Here's some pics from back in the day. The first is me and my trusty trike in '68 next to the Stude a year after my Uncle got it. The next is a few days after my 15th B-Day, digging my present out of the barn - Dave doesn't have the only "barnlark".

The next two kinda explain the nickname, one is from that summer after some clean-up, tune-up and tires. The last is my other cool ride I got the next summer, but you'll probably need to go to the Torino forum to get the long boring history of that car (still have it also).[8D]

Edit: if you're really bored http://forum.grantorinosport.org/ski...167_page1.html

Skinny
                  Watertown, SD

Comment

Happy Birthday

Comment

Looks like Kampeksa in the background of the Ford??

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rayoung55

Looks like Kampeksa in the background of the Ford??
                        Yep, pic taken in the Sandy Shores parking lot 1981.[8D]

Comment

Happy Birthday but WOW am I confused by your post!!! Do you need help restoring the Lark?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

Happy Birthday but WOW am I confused by your post!!! Do you need help restoring the Lark?
                            Thanks, and sorry about the confusion.[:I] A lot of self-sarcasm in there about me nearly twenty years ago thinking that at 45, I'd be pretty old and wondering if I could still get around. I've had the pleasure of building cars for a long time, but my self imposed "time-line" has always pushed the '59 to the back burner. Now I have no excuses, so I put it out there to keep me motivated.

Step one will be taking the floors, rockers, trunk floor, rear inner quarters and tail light panel out of a parts car in one big piece to replace mine.[:0] Now you know why I've been putting it off.[8D]

Comment

Go to it! I am currently at the dreaming/gathering stage for mine. It will take a major change in my life to get seriously onto mine, but I'm working on that[|)] Meantime I'll live vicariously through you 'doers'. Good luck!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X