commander to hawk rear end change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commander to hawk rear end change

hello studebaker folks. hoping to find out if the rear end from a 65 commander V8 three speed stick with overdrive will fit into my 58 packard hawk, size wise and ratio wise. the hawk is an automatic. i am tired of fighting with these tapered axles. maybe i could find this info on the ratio from an old motors repair manual, but thought someone might know. is there another rear end thats pretty much bolt in with flanged axles. thanks for any help. skip.

57 President, 58 Packard Hawk, 61 MGA

Why not just add the flanged axles?
    Check here.
    FAIRBORN STUDEBAKER OFFERS ENGINE, PERFORMANCE, and SPECIALITY PARTS
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

1957 or 58 Ford 9 " rear end. Most any gear ratio you want is available.
      Good Roads
      Brian

Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

i have had no time to research this and was not aware it was that simple. are those bearings pressed on in the hawk ?. will axles just slide out of both rear ends. the hawk is a dana 44 i had it apart a long time ago and cant remember. i must have had them out as i changed the inner tube seals. taking care of elderly 83 year old mother, four apartment victorian and 8-10,000 antique car parts has really taken its toll on my memory. thanks for any answers. skip

Comment

The '65 rear axle should also be a model 44, and probably is a 3.73 ratio vrs. the G. Hawk 3.31. Width is the same on all 1953-on.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

is there a site that shows a good breakdown of this assembly ?.

Comment

Originally posted by skip

i have had no time to research this and was not aware it was that simple. are those bearings pressed on in the hawk ?. will axles just slide out of both rear ends. the hawk is a dana 44 i had it apart a long time ago and cant remember.
              Skip, I just did the Fairborn swap. My neighbor and I also just pulled a '65 Commander out of a barn. It has a 27, non TT, but it's a 6 cylinder car. Yes, it will fit.

For the Fairborn set up: The axles will come out with a slide hammer. The backing plates will then need to be machined a bit larger to accept the new axles. The new flanged axles come with the bearings and everything attached. You'll need to shim them correctly for the correct end play. The tubes need to be well cleaned and I would suggest drilling holes for zerk fittings (1/4"x 28), as did I, right where the tubes swell for the backing plate flanges. They can then be greased from the outside and you'll never have to take the axles out again to grease them. You won't want to, trust me.

Your brake drums will have to have the center hub pressed out to accept the new axles. They will now be just like the '65 axles. Fairborn will deal with your backing plates, or sell you finished ones. They will also press out your drums. Well worth the nominal fee so that the drums aren't ruined trying to beat those out by Goober at your shop. Fairborn has all of the info and instructions on their site. Great guys. I'm a hack and I eventually got them in right with their help.

Comment

Working...
              X