HOW MANY-MAROON/MAROON AVANTI'S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW MANY-MAROON/MAROON AVANTI'S

How many '64 R2 Avanti's were built with maroon combo?

Does anyone have an answer?
    THANKS

Comment

I don't think anyone's done a color or option count on Avanti's. The records are available but the info needs to be compiled and sorted.

My guess is very few. There were only 232 ( I think ) '64 R2's built and from what I've seen most of them were turquoise, gold or white.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

There are three listed on Bob Johnstone's website

R-5362
        R-5368
        R-5529

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 00RACER

How many '64 R2 Avanti's were built with maroon combo?

That was a popular color replaceing Avanti red at the very end, but you're still only talking a few dozen maroon/maroon tops.

JDP Maryland
          Disclaimer:
          None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

When I first got my Avanti Red car I was curious about the same question. I saw something somewhere (of course now I can't find it) that said turquoise and gold were the leading Avanti colors, followed by white then red.

Looking at the meet award photos in TWs seems to bare that out, red cars are in the minority.
            And maroon, as already pointed out, would be rarer still.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Jon Myer's wife Betty has owned a '64 for years, but I believe it is the more common Burgundy with Black Interior, not Burgundy/Burgundy combo like you are asking. [:0]

These Burgundy late '64's are the ugly Dark Red, not the sharp looking Honduras Maroon Metallic Corvette shade of Maroon like a '63.

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I checked theavanti.com and they show R5400 to be a maroon/maroon R2 with 4 speed. There are a couple of others listed as "red" that might actually be maroon, but based on the limited information and lack of pictures, who knows.

Comment

I believe that interior color was called 'Claret Red (833 CLV)'.

Craig

Comment

This is #5442--Avanti maroon with the 833 clv interior
                    Just purchased and are trying to decide rarity as for being restored
                    THANKS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer

There are three listed on Bob Johnstone's website

R-5362
                      R-5368
                      R-5529
                      I guess Bob missed the maroon '64 R-2 I had (5420). It had a black interior though. There was a very nice '64 R-1 that sold on eBay a year or two- was maroon with maroon interior. Many years ago I saw a late '64 maroon with the elk interior that Tommy Thompkins had just sold.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                      X