what carburetor to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what carburetor to use?

Would like to change my carb on my 58 President. I want to be able to use the current oil bath filter and not lose points at shows. There's just a little too much hesitation for my liking. Any suggestions?

Jim Rostron
    Jim Rostron

I would repair or rebuild the carb you have. Even if you had to send it away for bushing replacement etc., having the correct carb is your best bet IMHO.[8D]

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Too much hesitation may not be a carburation problem, but if it has not been touched in many years, the carb is a good guess. Have you checked, points, timing and vacuum advance pot?.

Comment

Doug is mostly correct.

Causes of hesitation...in no particular order...carburetor first -

1. accererator pump not working properly
        2. idle adjustment screws not correctly adjusted
        3. power valve not working correctly
        4. vacuum leak (throttle shafts loose)

Distributor -
        1. low initial timing (forget the book value!)
        2. Point gap off
        3. vacuum advance modulator bad (leaking)
        4. vacuum connected to either the ported or non-ported AND NOT adjusted properly for the connection
        5. loose point plate causing the point gap to vary

OR....to make things fun...any combination of all of the above.

Mike

Comment

To temporarily hijack the thread

1. low initial timing (forget the book value!)

Book is near 4 deg. advanced. I have my 289 set at 20 and it loves it. Is this normal?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:
            Book is near 4 deg. advanced. I have my 289 set at 20 and it loves it. Is this normal?
            No, something is wrong somewhere. It shouldn't like 20 degrees initial advance. That would put it above 50 degrees full centrifugal advance. Most Studes don't like more than 36-38 total. Check the total vacuum and centrifugal with a dial-back light or a distributor machine.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Tom -

Yep...what Jack said.

Did you happen to check your timing with the vacuum still connected?
              IF so...you might be ok. Go back and check it WITHOUT the vacuum advance hooked up and see where you are.
              You should be plenty safe at 10 to 12 degrees initial, no vacuum, at idle.

And like Jack notes, up at full vacuum and at full mechanical advance (3000rpm) or so, you should see the 36 to 38 degrees.

Note that "ported" (above the throttle shaft) and "non-ported" (below the throttle shaft) vacuum will normally require slightly different initial advance for the best outcome.

Mike

Comment

Tom, I have found that someone "muscled" the vibration damper back together, and the timing is showing up at the wrong place on mine. It is apparently easy to do.

Comment

The car's out of service til later in the week, will get back then with determinations.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  ....On the road, again....
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                  X