Quick ? (Edited)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick ? (Edited)

Does anyone know if a Pertronix electronic ignition module #1584 will work in a 289? If so, do I also have to change the coil and to what? Thanks.Attached is the web page where I found the module. http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/1584/10002/-1

I left the stock coil on mine when I installed the Petronix system. Runs o.k.

Comment

Why not ?
      You don't have to change the coil, but if it's older, you might get some benifet with a newer, higher power coil.
      Though remember, you don't nesessarilly get all 40,000 (what-ever is claimed) volts at every spark.

Mike

Comment

Last year when I checked, a Pertronix module was not available for a Prestolite single-point distributor, but is available for the dual-points distributor used in Avanti engines.

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Or positive on the Delco distributor.

Mike

Comment

I found this one on the JEGS website. It didn't indicate whether it was for a single or dual point system. Guess I better check into further.

Comment

Hi Larry, I went to the Pertronix website and found this page: http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pd...ition_conv.pdf
              Page 11 of this PDF document covers Studebaker.

For confirmation, you will need the part number from your distributor. The part # for a standard 1963 & 64 V8 Prestolite distributor is IBP-4108 which isnt listed on the Pertronix list.

Wild Red Hawks admiring their reflections.
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out today.

Comment

Working...
                X