Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Archives #55 ('38 cab forward piggy back)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #55 ('38 cab forward piggy back)

The trucks are 1937 model year J series, the cars are '38 models.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I wonder what service Edwards' Iron Works provided? It seems from the prominance of the sign that it wasn't there by chance.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

Looks like the truck driver is used to the cold (light jacket open)and the businessmen are wrapped up in long coats. Wouldn't i love to have one of those as a car hauler.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Edwards Iron Works was a fabrication company located in South Bend that mainly provided bodies for Studebaker trucks over the years. One notable exception was the "pickup box" that slid into the trunk of cars around 1940.

Comment

These pictures are really fascinating add to the history of the Studebaker Corporation. Thank you again Richard as they are appreciated by many.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Nice Richard! You have more surprises in your bag than Santa Claus! Those are some classy looking trucks. Any idea why the cars would be loaded onto these trucks without wheels & tires mounted? They would have had to been loaded with a large forklift or overhead hoist, I presume. I guess the trucks with cars on them do not have flat beds but rather large timbers to support the cars. An unusual sight.

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
            In the middle of Minnestudea
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I noticed they had the drive shaft still installed in the the "in tow" trucks. I have always pulled them

take care

george o

Comment

Interesting photo. It raises a lot of questions. For one, I didn't think Edwards was in the transport business. I'm guessing they might have manufactured some jigs or cradles for carrying/towing the vehicles.
                Not sure why the front tires are removed from the cars. On the trucks though, it looks like they might have interfered with the rear tires of the tow trucks.
                It's standard procedure to remove the drive axles of piggy backed trucks instead of the driveshaft. The operator caps the hub, then re-installs the axles when he reaches his destination. He never replaces the gaskets though, so a leak develops right away. This used to drive me crazy. Couldn't get anyone to take responsibility. Best I ever got was a package of new gaskets sent free of charge. Big deal!

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks, Richard. Nice photo. You, too, Dwain. Are those Yorkies?
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

Thanks, Richard. Nice photo. You, too, Dwain. Are those Yorkies?
                    Thank you. They're Westies (West Highland White Terriers) and they are all rescues. Actually there's one more right now.

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Very nice photo. Thanks Richard

Comment

Thanks again Richard. You have always supplied us with a treasure trove of fantastic photos of Studebaker history.

Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Long Island Studebaker Club
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Fascinating photo (and wheel mystery).

One theory: The reason the front wheels appear to be off the vehicles is the width of the rear wheels.
                          The rear wheels are wider than the payload area of the trucks, so the front wheels would be too.
                          It might have been an over-sized load problem. (In other words, with the wheels off they did not have to follow the laws made for transporting over-sized loads such as a follow car and red flags).

It does indeed appear that the tires of the front axle would contact the tires of the rear axle on the truck that was carrying the vehicles, if they were loaded with the tires in place.
                          It also appears that the sedans are not hanging off the delivery vehicles. We can not see any of their rear wheels, but the angle they are sitting at, suggests their rear wheels are on, and their fronts are off too.
                          Pretty strange!
                          Did they not have car carrier trucks back then?

A second theory: They were purchased by Edwards' Iron Works and this photo is not depicting delivery from the firm, but delivery to the firm, of their new fleet.

Comment

Also notice the different head lights on the sedans.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                            X