Timing Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Gears

Ok Gentlemen, I am sure that someone will know this. I just can not find a way to make it work. I am rebuilding a 60 model 289, finished the heads, bottom end and was working my way around to the timing set and this left me with a couple problems/questions..
    1.What is the best way to get both the timing gears back on.
    The shop manual talks about a special installer tool that I wish I had.
    2. Do both gears go on at once?
    I am getting the engine hub installer and a dial kit, to set the crank shaft end play, from a vendor up in York at the meet.
    3. Who is a good source to get thrust washers from?
    My original crank was replaced by a NOS unit so I know the end play will need some work.
    I know this may be engine 101 for some but it is my first time deep inside the workings of the Stude motor. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney Tucker
    60 Black Hawk
    On the road Again

The steel crank gear goes on first. It'll be part of the setting of end play. Good luck on shims. They're not easy to find in the smaller sizes! Don't know WHY some vendor hasn't had some cut yet![8]

Once the crank's setup and it's gear in in place, you install the cam and then it's gear. With no load on the cam (valve springs), it'll turn as the gear's installed. You'll see!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OK this post has been read 58 times and Mr. Biggs is the only one to post a reply. Please tell me I have not stumped the wise one's.

p.s. Thanks Mr. Biggs.

Rodney Tucker
      60 Black Hawk
      On the road Again

Comment

Probably a couple reasons. First, it's hard to expand on anything Mr. Biggs writes. He knows what he's talking about. Also, when you said you were buying some tools from a vendor at York, I think a lot of people here assumed that would be Fairborn Studebaker, and felt you would be in good hands for parts/services.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Greetings, abndad,

SDC folks are unfailingly helpful and fraternal. However, always good form to begin a question with "I've used the Search function six ways from Sunday and read the shop manual twice. Can't find this anywhere and would appreciate some help." Some of those who looked but didn't reply may remember similar info being covered recently. Just one search for "crankshaft end play" found five recent threads:

Crankshaft pulley flange Kdancy 3 73 02/11/2007 7:51:13 PM
          by: Kdancy
          Crankshaft and Hub distance Stude4x4 4 188 01/05/2007 7:50:50 PM
          by: Stude4x4
          289 overhaul olasar 14 496 12/05/2006 2:14:00 PM
          by: bigboomstick
          Crank end play shims dclewallen 6 151 11/27/2006 7:26:04 PM
          by: Mr.Biggs
          What happens when the dowels are missing showbizkid 11 296 11/17/2006 11:08:58 AM
          by: sbca96
          Advice on Replacing 289 Crankshaft jngregory 20 405 11/02/2006 1:27:05 PM
          by: Mr.Biggs
          '55 Speedster question

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

You should find a way to push the gears on, some combination of pusher/pullers. Leave the @%$# hammers in the tool box please.
            Crank shims are tought to locate. However I found a good replacement in using the side carrier bearing shims from a Dana44 rear, they aren't a perfect match dimension wise to the original crank shims but will work. I have the pics and dimensions of the shims @ home I'll try to remember to post them when they'r available.
            Russ

quote:Originally posted by abndad

Ok Gentlemen, I am sure that someone will know this. I just can not find a way to make it work. I am rebuilding a 60 model 289, finished the heads, bottom end and was working my way around to the timing set and this left me with a couple problems/questions..
            1.What is the best way to get both the timing gears back on.
            The shop manual talks about a special installer tool that I wish I had.
            2. Do both gears go on at once?
            I am getting the engine hub installer and a dial kit, to set the crank shaft end play, from a vendor up in York at the meet.
            3. Who is a good source to get thrust washers from?
            My original crank was replaced by a NOS unit so I know the end play will need some work.
            I know this may be engine 101 for some but it is my first time deep inside the workings of the Stude motor. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney Tucker
            60 Black Hawk
            On the road Again
            Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...