California front licence plate requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California front licence plate requirement

I have a question regarding the California requirement for a front licence plate on a 64 Avanti.

I just moved from Virginia, that according to Virginia state law sec 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display a single plate if the original manufacturer's design of the vehicle allows for the use of a single plate. As such, I ran only a rear plate on the Avanti for years.

How about California? I have heard that if your car came unequipped for a front plate that they only issue one plate for the rear of the car.

Anyone with info on this?

quote:Originally posted by Silent Bob

I have a question regarding the California requirement for a front licence plate on a 64 Avanti.

I just moved from Virginia, that according to Virginia state law sec 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display a single plate if the original manufacturer's design of the vehicle allows for the use of a single plate. As such, I ran only a rear plate on the Avanti for years.

How about California? I have heard that if your car came unequipped for a front plate that they only issue one plate for the rear of the car.

Anyone with info on this?

Technically, I can't think of a post war car not accepting a front plate, including the Avanti.

JDP Maryland
    Disclaimer:
    None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Have you seen a 63 or 64 Avanti with a front plate mounting bracket from the factory? Did Studebaker list a factory part number for a 63/64 front licence bracket for the Avanti?

Sure you can mount the plate under the front rubber center piece, but it looks bad and can cause overheating issues.

The key to the Virginia law is the "original manufacturer's design of the vehicle allows for the use of a single plate".

Comment

On a similar note, in Minnesota I asked the DMV lady about collector car plate requirements for a car. She said you only need to purchase one collector plate for a collector car. But, you have the option of purchasing two collector plates and in doing so, you must display both plates on the car! So, I purchased two plates but am only displaying one plate (which technically is against the law). The extra plate I have in safe storage in case the other plate ever gets damaged and I want to replace it. I unfastened the license plate bracket from my front bumper and put it on the shelf. If the law changes, I will need to reinstall it.

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

In Ohio, when you register for Historic plates, you get two. I guess (don't know) you're supposed to display both of them HOWEVER. If you obtain a Year of Production plate/plates you may register them in addition to the Historic plates and use them on the car, keeping the Historic plate/s in the car. I found a 1953 plate (Ohio only had one plate in '53,) with my initials on it, and proudly display it on the rear license plate holder, having removed same from the front bumper. I'm sure this varies by state, but I'm glad Ohio does it the way they do. Also, with the Historic plates, my car is registered until 2050.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          ....On the road, again....
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

When I purchased my Avanti a few years back (in Iowa... which requires two plates) I removed the front rubber that had a plate bent up behind it and replaced the rubber. I have one plate on the rear and another in the trunk. I have yet to be questioned. I plan on doing the same with my 1953 Starlight Coupe this Summer. I can't believe any law enforcement officer would give you more than a warning for not cluttering up the front of a neat car... UNJLESS you were unrespectful to him or her!

duane miller

Comment

The CHP requires every car to have 2 plates.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

In Ohio, when you register for Historic plates, you get two. I guess (don't know) you're supposed to display both of them HOWEVER. If you obtain a Year of Production plate/plates you may register them in addition to the Historic plates and use them on the car, keeping the Historic plate/s in the car. I found a 1953 plate (Ohio only had one plate in '53,) with my initials on it, and proudly display it on the rear license plate holder, having removed same from the front bumper. I'm sure this varies by state, but I'm glad Ohio does it the way they do. Also, with the Historic plates, my car is registered until 2050.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                ....On the road, again....
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars
                Agreed - I think we're really lucky in regards to the length of time alloted to a historic car. I'm still looking for my 1963 Ohio plate that has a "P" or a "Q" with numbers - or a set with my initials.

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

Alan's correct, ALL cars in sunny California require a front plate by law.

BUT........I'm 59yrs old, lived here all of those years...and "none" of my cars have had a front licence plates. As for other tickets...only been noted by one officer, and NOT noted on the ticket I got from him.

In any case, it'll only be a fix-it ticket...meaning you'll have to put it on and show the Highway Patrol.

Mike

Comment

The Virginia law was intended to exempt pre-WW I vehicles, many of which had no front bumper or any other place to mount a license plate. Similar language is used in the antique/historic plate law in many states -- along with exemptions from seat belts, two tail lights, emissions equipment, etc -- if such equipment was not required when the vehicle was new. More than half the states required two plates when the Avanti was introduced back in 1962, so there's no way anyone can claim that the manufacturer's design didn't allow for a front plate. The fact that it looks ugly is irrelevant as far as the law is concerned.

BTW, I got a $40 ticket for no front plate -- in Virginia. I left the front plate off my Camaro because I thought it looked ugly.

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

My first ticket was "no front plate" many years ago. I display both plates as California requires. My '75 Avanti has the bracket on the front bumper above the grille.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

The Virginia law was intended to exempt pre-WW I vehicles, many of which had no front bumper or any other place to mount a license plate. Similar language is used in the antique/historic plate law in many states -- along with exemptions from seat belts, two tail lights, emissions equipment, etc -- if such equipment was not required when the vehicle was new. More than half the states required two plates when the Avanti was introduced back in 1962, so there's no way anyone can claim that the manufacturer's design didn't allow for a front plate. The fact that it looks ugly is irrelevant as far as the law is concerned.

BTW, I got a $40 ticket for no front plate -- in Virginia. I left the front plate off my Camaro because I thought it looked ugly.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip

I asked the Virgina DMV in writing about the Avanti noting that the 63/64 did not come with bracket for the front bumper. They came back in writing stating what I provided in my original posting. I kept a copy of their response in the glove box just in case I was stopped.

I too was stopped by the Fairfax police for not having a front plate on a Maserati Ghibli. I had the plate bracket on the car but it was for a European size plate. Cop said too bad - drill some holes in it to put on VA plates. Just a warning with no ticket.

BTW, I'll miss not having lunch with you and the usual bunch of suspects at Spring Carlisle. Long way to go for the chicken strip special.

Bob

Comment

I have a '66 Jaguar E-type roadster. There is no provision for front license plate mount and in England E-type owners actually paint the License number on the nose of the car. I have mine registered in Virginia, but only run the rear plate. Tom

Comment

My '99 Saturn has no provision on the front end for a plate. Texas law, as written by the legislature, states "All motor vehicles must display two license plates. One facing forward and one facing rearward." Someone in the Houston area got a ticket, took it to court, lost, took it to the Texas Supreme Court, lost, took it to the Appealate Court where it is being heard. He got a ticket for the front plate being in the windshield, not on a bracket. I have been driving my car for 10 years with no front plate and no problem. Until January. I got 5 warnings from 2 cops on the same stretch of highway. I mentioned the legal status of the law to both of them and they replied they couldn't care less what the Appealate Court would say. I think they cared enough to not issue a ticket. I also think they suck.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten
                              In any case, it'll only be a fix-it ticket...meaning you'll have to put it on and show the Highway Patrol.
                              And pay 25 dollars, for each violation.

"Fix it" tickets are now $25 court fees per violation and no longer
                              $10. There is also increases in other violations.

[quote]
                              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                              X