Studebaker monument near Gettysburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker monument near Gettysburg

I did a search of the forum to see if this monument had been pictured on the forum before and I don't think it has. For those of you that have not seen this before, enjoy.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

That's really cool! I haven't been out there to visit that spot. I should someday.[]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    1960s Prototype cart
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Isn't that the one in Ashland[?] I could be wrong[?]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
      Parts of the 1952 Model N
      1960s Prototype cart
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

No, Chris. This is in Adams County, PA.; before J.Clement moved the family to Ashland, Ohio.; just a rock on the edge of a cornfield.

Gary,
        Great pics!
        You must have taken those shortly after we made our annual (first Sunday in May) site clean-up; hedges are trimmed!

I found a couple pieces of forge charcoal and a broken piece of stoneware there a couple decades ago; prompted me to write a short prose that got published in TURNING WHEELS
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I took the picture in Sept 2008. The Sunday of the International Meet.

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

I took the bus tour out there for the rededication at the Lancaster Meet in 2008 & it is a picturesque site.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
            MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks Gary. Those are great pictures.

Doug
              Venice, Florida
              1950 Champion
              9G F1

Comment

A little background on this subject.

History:

John Clement bought 135 acres adjoining the 200 acres owned by his father Clement Jr. in Pine Town (now Tyrone Twsp, Adams County, PA0 just after marrying Rebecca Mohler. On the ground he built a brick house for his family and his Wagon/Blacksmith Shop. The house burned to the ground in the early 1900's and the foundation was covered but if you know where to look you can find it in the field behind the monument. The monument erected in 1980 and dedicated during the 1980 International meet by the Keystone Region stands on the site of the actual blacksmith shop. The blacksmith shop stood until about 1935 when it collapsed from old age.

he picture below is of the crowd that was present at the 1980 monument dedication:

Look closely at the picture and note the individual in the tree. Some call him the Mayor of Mokema. Know him?

This next picture was taken during the re-dedication of the monument in 2008 as John Clement welcomed all to his home:

Want to participate in KRC"sannual monument cleanup efforts? If so join us on 05/02/10 at 10:00 AM at the monument followed by a picnic at the Tom Wessel farm. It was Tom who gave KRC the ground for the monument.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I too visited the site for the rededication during the 2008 International Meet in Lancaster. It was a very interesting, and meaningful, event. I was glad I could make that tour. It is a very nice area. I appreciate what the Keystone Chapter has done to make the monument a reality back in 1980 and then maintaining the site over those next 30 years.

Oh and for those that were not at the 2008 IM, believe me Don made a great Mr. Studebaker and tour guide.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Don,
                    You finally posted that famous photo of the legendary Dick Quinn balancing precariously in the tree. The Branch supporting Dick no longer graces that same tree now. I dont think Dick would be as nimble these days !!

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Jim, I had posted before as a before and after picture but no one picked up on it. i thought this would be the appropriate time to do it again.[}][8D]
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X