Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZDDP.........no stress

changed the oil in the Avanti today..........utilized valvoline VR1 20w/50

rear of bottle claims significant amount of zddp in each bottle. 6 qts ran me 40.00.

I had my 63 Avanti engine remanufactured by a machine shop that does race engines of all types and they recommended I use Vavoline "not street legal" race oil since it is suppose to have sufficent zinc properties. I have used this for 2 years now and am pleased by the fact that it doesn't use any oil. Possibly this has nothing to do with the oil but rather the rebuild.

Comment

The"not street legal" Valvoline VR1 is only for track use. It has no detergent or additive packages and is not for street use vehicles. The VR1 20W50 sold at your local FLAPS has detergents and additive packages for street cars plus sufficient ZDDP that is essentially the same concentration you will get if you buy a bottle of ZDDP and blend it with your average brand motor oil grades.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

The"not street legal" Valvoline VR1 is only for track use. It has no detergent or additive packages and is not for street use vehicles. The VR1 20W50 sold at your local FLAPS has detergents and additive packages for street cars plus sufficient ZDDP that is essentially the same concentration you will get if you buy a bottle of ZDDP and blend it with your average brand motor oil grades.
        Likewise, my engine guy warned me against race oil.
        But does Valvoline really make both types (with & w/o dtergent)?
        Are they labeled differently so we can make sure we're buying the right stuff?

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here, try this link--

Whether you have questions about motor oil, our involvement in racing, or our business, you can find easy-to-understand answers here.

Comment

I called Valvoline at their 1-800 number and got all my questions answered.
            Nice guys.

It seems to have Zinc and the detergents my engine guy recommended.
            He said get the VR1 in a silver jug with the part number 205 on it. The pure racing oil is in a black jug.
            He said NAPA is the largest retailer and any NAPA should have it in stock.
            I'm a happy camper.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
            X