This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 half ton p.u. rear end?

I'm back but not working on the brirerpatch pick up yet. But I have been doing lot's of thinking. What to do? type of thinking. At this point I will probably put the body on a 4x4 frame. but that is still debateable. But one quick question what does the 55 have under it for a rear end? size and rato? thanks for any help.

Mine came with a 4.55 ratio (and a Champion six, 3 spd. w/OD). If yours is still in the truck, and if the metal tag is still there, it will give the gear ratio by dividing the top number by the bottom number. Mine was 50/11, thus the 4.545 ratio. I had a drivetrain shop change it to 45/11, or 4.09.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Mine came with a 4.55 ratio (and a Champion six, 3 spd. w/OD). If yours is still in the truck, and if the metal tag is still there, it will give the gear ratio by dividing the top number by the bottom number. Mine was 50/11, thus the 4.545 ratio. I had a drivetrain shop change it to 45/11, or 4.09.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

It's a DANA 44 rear axle. A pretty sturdy unit to be sure. Stude started using a 44 under their 1/2ton trucks amidst the 2R series run and this continued until the last 1/2 Champs were built in '63. 44s were also used under cars that had bigger engines or even behind 6s that were destined for heavy duty service (taxis and such). The truck 44s have much beefier axle shafts than the ones in the car axles. Like the cars, they have tapered ends that take a matching, cone-shaped hub.

The hub and drum have to come off using a special puller to be able to service the brakes. The hubs go back on totally DRY (that means NO lubricant or anti-sieze whatsoever!)and get their central retention nut torqued to at least 175 Ft. Lbs.! I mention all this about the dry reassembly and the torquing because as much as we stress having the right puller all the time, no one says much about the proper reassembly.[B)] The cone & taper is where the energy is transmitted to the wheel - NOT the key and slot that aligns it!!! If you lube that cone and taper to make it easier to get into the next time, you're setting yourself up for expensive trouble.[xx(] If you don't split the hub when you're torquing the big nut, it'll slip a tiny bit when you stop and go until it manages to wipe out the key, slot, hub.... you get the picture!

Anywho... there were about 5 different axle ratios that were available for 1/2ton pickups. The lowest (numerically) being a 3.73 - usually used behind automatic trannies - then 4.09, 4.27, 4.55, 4.82 & 4.89
        Selection was governed to some degree by the tranny used, engine used and probably (to some extent) the terrain of a given area.
        I'm sure a customer could dictate a specific ratio to meet special needs if need be.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's a DANA 44 rear axle. A pretty sturdy unit to be sure. Stude started using a 44 under their 1/2ton trucks amidst the 2R series run and this continued until the last 1/2 Champs were built in '63. 44s were also used under cars that had bigger engines or even behind 6s that were destined for heavy duty service (taxis and such). The truck 44s have much beefier axle shafts than the ones in the car axles. Like the cars, they have tapered ends that take a matching, cone-shaped hub.

The hub and drum have to come off using a special puller to be able to service the brakes. The hubs go back on totally DRY (that means NO lubricant or anti-sieze whatsoever!)and get their central retention nut torqued to at least 175 Ft. Lbs.! I mention all this about the dry reassembly and the torquing because as much as we stress having the right puller all the time, no one says much about the proper reassembly.[B)] The cone & taper is where the energy is transmitted to the wheel - NOT the key and slot that aligns it!!! If you lube that cone and taper to make it easier to get into the next time, you're setting yourself up for expensive trouble.[xx(] If you don't split the hub when you're torquing the big nut, it'll slip a tiny bit when you stop and go until it manages to wipe out the key, slot, hub.... you get the picture!

Anywho... there were about 5 different axle ratios that were available for 1/2ton pickups. The lowest (numerically) being a 3.73 - usually used behind automatic trannies - then 4.09, 4.27, 4.55, 4.82 & 4.89
          Selection was governed to some degree by the tranny used, engine used and probably (to some extent) the terrain of a given area.
          I'm sure a customer could dictate a specific ratio to meet special needs if need be.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X