X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R5396 Johnny Carson Avanti

I got the serial # from the Avanti that is supposed to
    be the one Johnny Carson had. Anyway, it had his name
    on the plaque on the dash. It is serial # R5396.

Is there anyway we could have this checked without having to
    buy a production order. The car was totaled and only pieces
    of it remain. This would be for historical purposes. I just
    think it would be interesting to see what if anything special
    was noted.

fstst56

I doubt if the production order would help beyond what dealer the car was scheduled to go...that could possibly be a clue, but not definitive. To find more documentation one would have to check either a dealer's sales records (probably not available or even still existing), or state motor vehicle records. Back then Johnny Carson was still doing the Tonight Show from New York City, so I'm guessing NY registration archives could be checked, or possibly Connecticut or NJ if he lived out of the city. He certainly could have maintained a home elsewhere, like California, where he certainly lived later, and the car could have been kept there.

I would think the production order would be the first place to check. It's possible it could be a special with his name attached, but seeing what dealer the car was to be shipped to and that dealer's location would be a hint on what state's registration records could be checked...if that state has an archive service available.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Avanti serial number R-5396 was originally delivered to Shawnee, Oklahoma. It was a white R1 with Turquoise interior, Powershift, AC, silent mufflers, electric windows, radio, seat belts, and a few other minor options. Apparently, it was an ordered car, not just one built for "stock", because at the bottom of the production order it says "SOLD RUSH". Final assembly date was October 3rd, 1963.

That's all the significant info on the production order, so if it ever was Johnny Carson's car, we would need more information to prove it.

George

george krem
      george krem

Comment

Don't a lot of Avanti POs say "Sold Rush"?
        I know mine does...

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Don't a lot of Avanti POs say "Sold Rush"?
          I know mine does...
          Sure, there would be more Avantis than Lark/Hawks ORDERED rather than for stock, because they were so far behind in production because of fiberglass body issues.

Obviously not all Avantis were sold before built.

You have a DUP to delete! You did not look first, before hitting the "post" button the SECOND time during a "500" timeout.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I didn't press the send button twice, it came up the first time as a "500 Error" which I know means there is probably a double post, and then wouldn't let me back in to fix it.
            So I went away for a couple of minutes...

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Johnny Carson was from Nebraska, so it's conceivable he might buy a car in that area, but it would take much more documentation to show it was his than just a name plate on the console. It's always possible he could have bought it used as well...but again...it will take documentation.

Comment

I'd be interested in learning whatever you find.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far, especially to R3 challenger.

I'm going to be busy the rest of the week so it may be awhile
                  before i get any more info.

George Krem, I have a body number of RQ4319. Does that match.
                  I believe I also have the engine number. I'll try to find it.

Comment

Your Avanti, serial 5396 was delivered to J M Carson, 3202 N Broadway, Shawnee, Oklahoma on 10/28/63.
                    Looks like it is the real thing.

Comment

Johnny Carson's full name was John William Carson. The JM Carson could be an error or it could simply be for a different John Carson.

Comment

Its from a computer punch card and listed as jm carson. I sometimes have trouble figuring out the first two letters, ie, if they are initials. With the address I imagine it can be authenticated. I'd say chances are pretty good that it is Johnny Carson's car.

Comment

I am continually amazed at how fast you guys come up with information. WHAT A PLACE! By the way many thanks to Klifton1 and Mr Quinn for the help with the Speedster info. Jack

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nels

Your Avanti, serial 5396 was delivered to J M Carson, 3202 N Broadway, Shawnee, Oklahoma on 10/28/63.
                            Looks like it is the real thing.
                            ???
                            Am I yto assume you're making a joke?
                            Otherwise, I don't know what THE Johnny Carson would have to do with Shawnee, Oklahoma.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John, No joke. I don't know what Johnny Carson has to do with Shawnee, Ok either but it may have been the only Stude dealer that was able to order that Avanti. Possibly closer to his home town or down the road from a relative or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X