56 Studebaker Hydroplane Race Boat Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Studebaker Hydroplane Race Boat Engine

I found this interesting. Anybody know any history on Stude powered race boats?

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

I found this interesting. Anybody know any history on Stude powered race boats?

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock

Interesting engine. Dual valve springs, cam galley splash pan and more.

JDP Maryland
    Disclaimer: None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Back in the '50s, there was a 225" hydro class and the '55-56 Stude 224" was perfect. Several were built and won races all around the US. Billy Schumacher's boat set records here on the west coast and was class champion.

Remember, there wasn't a lot of competition in that engine size. There were no other small OHV8s and most of the other boats were running Ford flathead V8s and 6-cyls.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Back in the '50s, there was a 225" hydro class and the '55-56 Stude 224" was perfect. Several were built and won races all around the US. Billy Schumacher's boat set records here on the west coast and was class champion.

Remember, there wasn't a lot of competition in that engine size. There were no other small OHV8s and most of the other boats were running Ford flathead V8s and 6-cyls.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

With the dual valve springs and some other items, I'd bet the engine was designed to make some serious RPM. Probably a very nasty cam designed to make power at high revs. The heads heads have some port work too.
        JDP Maryland
        Disclaimer: None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

It also appears to be using the 232" fuel pump drive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

How long do I have to wait for the darn picture to load on the auction page?

Chris Pile
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Good thing I don't have the $$ for that engine! I'm interested in what it all has done to it though, it would be fun to see what they did!

Dylan Wills
              [IMG][/IMG]
              '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
              X