old roof-carrier rack tie downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old roof-carrier rack tie downs

I have an old roof-carrier that I'd like to use on Bess. Problem is, the straps are missing. Would anyone know where I could get some? I've tried everywhere available and spent most of Thursday looking around Redding. There was one fellow who was willing to make the straps for me, all I need are the rain-gutter clamps.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.[8][?][?][?]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

If you mean the cloth web straps with gutter clips that hold the racks down on the roof, I'd be tempted to suggest that you make them out of canvas strap (like Boy Scout belts) and fabricate the gutter clips out of strap metal/stainless steel. That kind of strap may already exist in the accessory world, but I can't think of the area.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Yeah, Bob, that's what I'm trying to do. Problem is, getting the clips. I don't have the equipment to produce such a clip. I know what they look like, just don't know where to find them.

Thanks anyway, Mike. What I'm looking for is not stock.

This is a metal rack that sits on the roof on suction cups. The rubber cups protect the paint and prevent the carrier from sliding around. There are between four and six webbing straps that hold the carrier onto the car. Often the straps were made of cotton. However, I've seen them made out of nylon. Since cars no longer have rain gutters this kind of thing kind of thing, understandably, vanished from the market. So, if one wants to put one of these accessories on thier vintage car, getting the straps is a... challenge. To say the least.[8][V]

Ron Smith
      Ron Smith

Comment

I'd be tempted to not use the vintage stuff and just use Thule load bars if you must have a rack... they still sell rain gutter clamps for those. Or if you really want a vintage look you could duplicate the load bars in hardwood instead of rubber coated steel. I think I have a set of Thule gutter clamps around here somewhere because last year I put together a Thule roof rack for my car and one for my mom's car out of Craigslist purchases, and I think that that was one of the leftovers. (both my parents and I are sorta-kinda cyclists, so being able to move bicycles safely is a Good Thing, and there's no substitute for a good quality roof rack unless you have a pickup truck or SUV.)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Ron,

Your friendly local Army/Navy surplus store is a great place to start. They have the straps you're looking for in various widths and almost unlimited lengths. With some searching, and asking the proprietor, you could probably find the clips there as well. Good luck and happy hunting.

Dan Miller
          Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Oh gosh, I never thought to ask Ken (local army-surplus dealer)![)] DUH![)][)][:I]

Thanks for the brain-jog, Dan. Ken knows about all things obsolete! I'll see if he has anything.

Brad, please do! I'd like to know, and thanks.

Nate, I have a pickup. So, this is going to be largely decorative and/or excess storage. If I can get the proper clamps, it'll be just as secure as your Thule, with the possible exception that one has to keep after the tension of the straps. My parents had one of these and used it quite a lot with no mishaps at all. Dad even used it on the pickup from time to time.

Ron Smith
              Ron Smith

Comment

Be careful not to scratch the roof with those suction cups. All it takes is a tiny bit of grit under those cups for scratches to occur.

For the clip the Surplus Store sounds like a great idea. It also seems to me that I have seen similar clips in camping stores. They tend to be on bubble wrap accessory cards that hang with all kinds of little dodads that campers might use.

Good luck with you quest...

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Go to an RV dealer. The air dams (that go on the cab roof) for pickups that pull fifth-wheels use this kind of attachment.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yeah, I have licked those suction cups a hundred times when putting those racks on my Champion as a child. Love that rubber taste!!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

YUCK!

Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 Dr Wagon
                      Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Good point on the airfoils. I'll look into it from that direction. Perhaps I'll have better luck. Ken (army/navy) store was a washout. He knew what I was looking for, and is pretty sure it isn't in stock.[8] Same with the store in Oroville (120 miles away, but what the heck?).[V]

Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Um, no Brad, I wasn't looking to install a regular NOS roof-rack. This one is held on with straps, via the raingutters, and sits on suction cups on the roof. I admit an aftermarket roof rack or NOS would be a better way to go. Still, I like the look of the old temporary ones as well.

And Bob... all I can say to that old memory is, "Ewwwww...."[xx(] LOL!

Ron Smith
                            Ron Smith

Comment

I have three out of four, they're yours if you want them. They are made of canvas and have a metal clip on the end shaped like a "L". paul

1950 Champion
                              9G F3

sigpic
                              1950 Champion
                              9G F3

Comment

Working...
                              X