50 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 champion

I recently purchased a 50 champion starlight coupe. the car is in the paint and interior it was born with. its straight and no rust. it is A/T car 6-cyld. My question is this, when i look at all the builds on line they are all nice cars but do they all have the factory chassis. Can you use the factory frame and adapt front and rear end up grades and end up with a car that rolls down the road nice?? Thanks for your input R.C.

The '50 model was an in between year for the chassis upgrades. It is different than the years previous and the years after. It all depends on what you mean by up grades. The later cars were a more modern suspension and interchanged quite well and there is some aftermarket improvements available, particularly in the brakes.
    It is also possible to completely change whatever your pocketbook can afford. The '50 starlite is one of my favorite models although the only '50 I ever got to drive was a landcruiser.
    If you ask some more specific questions others will be able to advise you. I believe even the body mounts are different from later cars so a frame swap would be difficult.
    Rob
    Rob

Comment

I've hotroded my '50. I used a fatman fabrications mustang 2 frame stub and it worked well, and lowered the car alot! On the rear I started with the stock springs, a 1 inch lowering block and an s-10 axle. The s-10 was a great fit and didn't even have to change the spring pad placement, just bolt it in. Later on I did pick up some '51 rear spring hangers and bought new springs and shackles. The old springs didn't handle the tourqe of my sbc very well, lots of axle wrap. The new '51 springs are wider and handle the power much better.

Brad
      KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
      1964 Cruiser
      Brad
      KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
      1964 Cruiser
      1946 M16

Comment

I know some have swapped the whole chassis for an S-10 chassis. I have never done this nor seen it done. The swap also added AC and all the modern items that the S10 offered.

Mark

Comment

Friend of mine had plans to drop his '50 Champion Starlight body on to a Caprice LT1 police chassis. I think there was a half inch difference in the wheelbase. He had both vehicles but other things in life intervened so it did not happen. Would have been an interesting project.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

S-10 works fine for a 50, but then again, with a torch, welder, cut-off wheels, etc. an S-10 can work on almost anything. Then you're getting away from restoration and into modification... I've seen a cool 50 Bus. Coupe on an S-10 frame with custom/modern interior, AC, 12V, electronic ignition SBC, etc. but the only thing Studebaker was the sheetmetal. Doesn't mean it wasnt cool, but you have to decide up front how much modification is appropriate.

Mapman nailed it regarding the 1950 "transition" year. 1950 is unique, which can be good or bad, depending on what you want to do. My 1951, for instance has almost limitless exchange possibilities with later years, but a friend's 1950 can't share many parts with mine.

If your 50 is in good shape, there is a good arguement for keeping it original. Please note that adding radial tires may increase the ride quality enormously, without changing anything else. If you can get creative (and you'll have to) you can mate/match non-Stude front and rear components for driveability, but you may be entering into unknown territory. If it works, please post the results so others may share in your success!

Keep us informed, and please show us pictures!

Salina, KS, by way of Las Vegas, NV
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

good info, please if anyone else has any ideas please post. the car is nice, i dont want to cut it up, but i want it to roll nice and have a raked stance with fat tires in the back and 16 to 17 inch wheels. i will post pics of the car.
              in two weeks when i get it home from storage. the s-10 sounds good, what year s-10 works best? Is the 50 and s-10 wheel base the same? Thankh to all RC

Comment

Install radial tires and it will roll down the road very nicely...John

quote:Originally posted by robertsamx

good info, please if anyone else has any ideas please post. the car is nice, i dont want to cut it up, but i want it to roll nice and have a raked stance with fat tires in the back and 16 to 17 inch wheels. i will post pics of the car.
                in two weeks when i get it home from storage. the s-10 sounds good, what year s-10 works best? Is the 50 and s-10 wheel base the same? Thankh to all RC

Comment

Working...
                X