how to soften tailgate chain rubber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to soften tailgate chain rubber?

I recently got some NOS (still in the wrapper ) chrome tailgate chains for my Orange truck. The rubber sleeves are still soft and pliable, but I'm afraid that once I put them on the truck and they get kinked, they'll likely start to split. Is there anything I can use to treat the rubber to keep that from happening?

Here's a neat picture. Took this before I boxed everything back up til it's time to use it.

Matthew Burnette

There is a clear ice-maker hose sold at H/D. It might be large enough, hard to tell from your photos. It is pretty good quality, and ought to last a while. Maybe save those to show with???

Comment

Matthew: If they are that old, they are going to start to split no matter what you do to (or with) them, once they are on your truck and "rest" in a constantly-bent state, the way they will be with the tailgate closed.

Two options:

1. If you really want to have NOS rubber chain covers for show or bragging rights, remove them and do not use them. Instead, cut appropriate lengths of a bicycle inner tube to use instead while you cherish the NOS ones, stored in a cool, moist, place away from direct sunlight.

If you do that, you will subsequently advance into the group of human beings known as Weird Old Car Collectors Who Do Funny Things.

2. If you'd really like to use the chains, first buy a gallon of Armor-All or equivalent product; there are many of them.

Lay the chains as flat as you can in an open pan. Pour just enough Armor-All in the pan to completely cover the chains and rubber covers. Let them soak in the Armor-All until you are ready to put them on your truck.

They can soak for months and it won't hurt anything.[8D] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Matthew, I have had very good results with Armour-all's rubber preservative as well as a product called Black Chrome. Bet Meguires has good stuff too, all their other products are great. Your stuff looks great, I couldn't find chains anywhere for my 48 Stude truck, ended up making my own chain assemblies, then putting clear rippled surgical tubing over them. I thought it looked OK, but all the street rodders and car buddies loved it and wanted some too. You can even dye or vinyl spray it to match, so it does look pretty good on a non-stock ride. (mine was red- - VERY red). Anxious to see your finished ride, good luck, John

Comment

Will black heater hose work?

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
          In the middle of Minnestudea
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I never did like the way the tailgate chains hang with the one piece covers, so I cut up an old piece of suitably colored garden hose and made a "cover" that allows the chain to hang naturally while still protecting the paint.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

I'd suspect that the t'gate chains are shared with some kind of Brand-X truck, i'd be tempted to buy stainless repros, use one of the suggestions above for making new covers, and keeping the NOS originals in a safe place.

My dad had to replace the chains on his Ch*vy back when I was in high school, that would have been less than 20 years of daily use

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Comment

Why not do what the Eskimos do to soften leather- give it to a woman in your clan and have her chew it till it's soft. Works well for leather anyway.

It serves a good double purpose for the Eskimos- it's also a test procedure. When a woman's teeth are too far gone to soften leather, they take them out on the Tundra and leave them for the wolves. Circle of Life!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The old trick I used so many years ago, was to put the hose in a small bucket of gasoline. That seemed to renew the rubber and make it soft.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions and ideas. The rubber sleeves are still soft and bend with no problem. But you're right, no matter what I do they'll probably crack and fall apart with time.

I gotta say, I like Nate's comments the best. A quick search found this place. http://afterhourstruckparts.com/

These are stainless chains they make for early Dodge trucks. They look pretty darn close to the Stude ones. I sent them an email about the length and cost. I'll let you know what I find out.

The Stude ones.

Matthew Burnette

Comment

The best thing I have used is silicone.Treat it a couple times a year.

Comment

I'm with Dave Bates on this one. I have had very good success with silicone spray. With all due respect to those who use ArmorAll, I have not had good luck with it.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

"take them out on the Tundra" to be killed by a runaway T0y0ta "and leave them for the wolves"

I really liked the bicycle rubber trick for everyday use, and put the Aroma-All rubber back on for show.

JohnP, driving & reviving
                            an early Lark
                            sigpic
                            JohnP, driving & reviving
                            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Again, I hate to differ with the pros, but my experience with ArmorAll has not been good.

I have had too many Corvair padded dashes that had been good for 20-30 years, crack within days after I put ArmorAll on them. Same thing with vinyl seats. My fault? Maybe. Maybe there's a trick to using it that is not on the label. But....

Sorry, guys, just don't care for ArmorAll AT all.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X