Help Finding A Firewall Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding A Firewall Tag

Howdy All, I am in the middle of an engine compartment detailing project on my '59 4E7 Deluxe. When it was restored I used a cab from an 8E, as the original cab was beyond repair. Today, I removed everything to re-undercoat the firewall and found that when I restored the truck, I had failed to switch the firewall tags from the original cab to the replacement.(the tag had about a 1/16" of undercoating on it)[:I] Since the original cab was scrapped 25 years ago, I am trying to find a replacement tag. Does anyone have a 4E-C4 firewall tag that they would part with? I would be willing to do some trading, or buy one outright. Thanks Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana "Mergatroid" '59 4E7-122 "Sliver" '59 Silver Hawk "Surfin Stude Safari" '57 Parkview Wagon "Blind Date" '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

I collect body tags. I've got 500 or so - maybe more. Never have I seen the type of tag you're talking about on any C-cab prior to 1960. What passes for a body tag for those years is the tag inside the driver's door on the web piece that's at the rear of the step.
    I could be wrong because I've not looked at many C-cabs built from 1960 - on. I do know that Champs had "body tags" similar to cars, but without a body (line?) number below the 8E-T6 or whatever.
    I've seen the likes of 8E-40 or such on the later C-cabs, but not on '59s (4E).

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I collect body tags. I've got 500 or so - maybe more. Never have I seen the type of tag you're talking about on any C-cab prior to 1960. What passes for a body tag for those years is the tag inside the driver's door on the web piece that's at the rear of the step.
      I could be wrong because I've not looked at many C-cabs built from 1960 - on. I do know that Champs had "body tags" similar to cars, but without a body (line?) number below the 8E-T6 or whatever.
      I've seen the likes of 8E-40 or such on the later C-cabs, but not on '59s (4E).

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the information Mr. Biggs, That makes sense, as the cab I used for a replacement was from a 8E-40, and the tag reads 8E-C4. Maybe that explains why I didn't replace it all those years ago! Thanks again for the information. Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana "Mergatroid" '59 4E7-122 "Sliver" '59 Silver Hawk "Surfin Stude Safari" '57 Parkview Wagon "Blind Date" '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
        I own time machines.....

Comment

Thanks for the information Mr. Biggs, That makes sense, as the cab I used for a replacement was from a 8E-40, and the tag reads 8E-C4. Maybe that explains why I didn't replace it all those years ago! Thanks again for the information. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Yeah - here's what I HAVE seen on the range of C-cabs I talked about. There WAS a small, similarly embossed tag affixed to the right hand hood hinge while the trucks were assembled. I'm willing to bet it was solely for the purpost of tracking the cabs as they were constructed. The fact that these little tags were held in place with a bit of light gage, steel tie-wire is evidence that they weren't concerned about the tags surviving once the truck left the plant.
            I've got several of these tags and they usually read like "C231" or some combo of digits preceeded by a "C". I've never seen one with more than 4 digits which sorta jibes with the fact that truck production rarely got much - if at all - above 5 figures per model after the 2Rs were done - BTW, I've never found one of these ON a 2R.
            Many C-cabs I've seen in wrecking yards and in service do not have said tag hanging off the right hinge, but considering the fact they were tied on with such light, steel wire - probably LOTS of them were lost to rust or vibration doing in the wire!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah - here's what I HAVE seen on the range of C-cabs I talked about. There WAS a small, similarly embossed tag affixed to the right hand hood hinge while the trucks were assembled. I'm willing to bet it was solely for the purpost of tracking the cabs as they were constructed. The fact that these little tags were held in place with a bit of light gage, steel tie-wire is evidence that they weren't concerned about the tags surviving once the truck left the plant.
              I've got several of these tags and they usually read like "C231" or some combo of digits preceeded by a "C". I've never seen one with more than 4 digits which sorta jibes with the fact that truck production rarely got much - if at all - above 5 figures per model after the 2Rs were done - BTW, I've never found one of these ON a 2R.
              Many C-cabs I've seen in wrecking yards and in service do not have said tag hanging off the right hinge, but considering the fact they were tied on with such light, steel wire - probably LOTS of them were lost to rust or vibration doing in the wire!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Happy Birthday Bob! Thought I would post a picture of that unusual firewall tag. It was literally buried under the factory undercoating, so much so that you almost couldn't see it on the firewall, and the numbers could not be read from the front, South Bend must have really wanted this truck to be quiet, and stay rust free, and it did! It still is the best condition cab I have ever found. The cab also had the wired tag that you are referring too also, it reads C360. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Happy Birthday Bob! Thought I would post a picture of that unusual firewall tag. It was literally buried under the factory undercoating, so much so that you almost couldn't see it on the firewall, and the numbers could not be read from the front, South Bend must have really wanted this truck to be quiet, and stay rust free, and it did! It still is the best condition cab I have ever found. The cab also had the wired tag that you are referring too also, it reads C360. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Thanks Tim! Yeah that's a fairly rare tag. Exatly WHERE on the firewall was it located? SASCO had (maybe still has) a bunch of 7E or 8E tags from the trucks that were sold with only a cowl and hood or cowl, hood and windshield. Those tags read 8E-A1 or A2.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Thanks Tim! Yeah that's a fairly rare tag. Exatly WHERE on the firewall was it located? SASCO had (maybe still has) a bunch of 7E or 8E tags from the trucks that were sold with only a cowl and hood or cowl, hood and windshield. Those tags read 8E-A1 or A2.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

My 7E-13-131 C4 cab has one of those screwed on the firewall just below the glovebox, it also has no sequence number "7E-C4" that's it!

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 7E-13-131 C4 cab has one of those screwed on the firewall just below the glovebox, it also has no sequence number "7E-C4" that's it!

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine was in the same location, on the firewall just under the glovebox. The cab came off a Co-op fuel truck that was sold after it was replaced. A local farm bought it and pulled off the fuel tank and body. The cab had been sitting on blocks since the early 70's. They made the frame into what they call around here a "Farmhand". They turn the driving controls around so it can be driven backward, mount hydraulics for a hay fork to the frame, and use it to lift and load bails onto a haystack. That(farmhand)frame, and running gear is still being used today on that farm. The owner came up to talk to me after the local parade last year, looking for some parts, and told me he still had the title to the truck. When I went out to deliver the parts, and pick up the title, I looked at that farmhand, it had a Cloverleaf 289 and Heavy Duty 4 speed, Tough Stude Truck! Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Mine was in the same location, on the firewall just under the glovebox. The cab came off a Co-op fuel truck that was sold after it was replaced. A local farm bought it and pulled off the fuel tank and body. The cab had been sitting on blocks since the early 70's. They made the frame into what they call around here a "Farmhand". They turn the driving controls around so it can be driven backward, mount hydraulics for a hay fork to the frame, and use it to lift and load bails onto a haystack. That(farmhand)frame, and running gear is still being used today on that farm. The owner came up to talk to me after the local parade last year, looking for some parts, and told me he still had the title to the truck. When I went out to deliver the parts, and pick up the title, I looked at that farmhand, it had a Cloverleaf 289 and Heavy Duty 4 speed, Tough Stude Truck! Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

Working...
                              X