• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thurs. retrobaker

sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

quote:Originally posted by junior

Most of us agree that the quickest way to spoil an early C/K is try to improve upon Bourke's masterful styling job...
    Then I'm in the minority I've seen plenty of improvements. Of course, not all work well[xx(]

As always, thanks for posting... I cannot remember the last time I heard the word "falsie" used[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

At least the customizers didnt attempt to add dual sidemount spares. [8D] "Let's see, if we stretch the front of the car and move the front axle ahead 16 inches, we can then recess a spare between the front wheel well and the door on both sides. We will name it a Studeberg....or a Duesenbaker....yes, a Duesenbaker." [B)]

Autumn at Lake Barget
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

As far as the third one goes, you put all that stuff on your trunk lid, and the real spare still resides in the trunk, eating up valuable space. Wasn't getting the spare outta the way a good part of the reason for the continental kit in the first place, or are we just playing peek-a-boo, here?[:I] LH

whirling dervish of misinformation
        Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I used to own a 55 President hardtop with a continental kit.It was like the European Distinction one. Except the outer ends were not chrome plated, they were body color. Sure gave me lots more room in the trunk. I've seen a few continental kits on Studebakers and every one was made diffefently. I don't know who manufactured mine and have no pictures of it. I long ago sold the car.

Comment

I have a red K body 54 like the 1st picture and it looks like a boat.Way out of balance and proportion - the rear is too long.To keep the stock tail lights the chrome strip above the panel had to change angle and it really doesn't look good in my opinion...Would have been a bit of work to do it back then.

A.C.Moisley
            A.C.Moisley

Comment

Some of the local dealership employees and family members drove coupes like in the first or top photo. Was there ever a continental spare as a factory option?

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I asked about factory installed continental kits on 53's several years ago and the unanimous response was that it did not happen.

Our Stude has one installed by my wife's father and uncle back in the 50's during custom work. I am guessing they bought it from J.C. Whitney. See it with other restoration pictures below.

Jim's Rod Shop: Restoring Vintage Cars and Hot Rods in Yuma, Arizona

Tim-Custom '53 Commander Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

When did the "Speedster" style caps come out? They are shown in the Oct. '53 Motor Trend ad, which went to press before that, and the photo shoot had to be before that...[?]

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

When did the "Speedster" style caps come out? They are shown in the Oct. '53 Motor Trend ad, which went to press before that, and the photo shoot had to be before that...[?]
                    I believe they were available from the start of the 1953 model year. LH
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)
                    (says KTUURKR when I read it backwards)... Then again, I don't read all that well forwards... LH
                    whirling dervish of misinformation
                    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                    X