What's this fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this fit?

I came across this oil filler pipe lying with a jumble of all sorts of parts in a Fresno wrecking yard some years ago. It's certainly for a Stude V8 - an early one. But what application - truck???
    I have included (on the left) a later style oil filler pipe just to show that it's basically the same except for that weird, slanted upper portion!
    It sports the fuel pump mount like was found on all 232 engines and it's footing is exactly the same. Anybody know for sure if it's some sorta truck piece? I've never dealt with any of the early early V8 trucks. I wuz thinkin' mabe it's canted to clear an air cleaner. but when you set it on an engine, it doesn't necessarily lean away from the carb. [B)][?]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Maybe its off a supercharged engine, to clear the blower mount??
    I may have one somewhere.
    I have the engine pulleys(I think)and supercharger mount with idler pulley which incorporates the water filler or hose neck.

Its in the barn somewhere. Its off a long gone 55 Commander coupe that was redone to look like a 56 Hawk(with butterknife trim yet!)The supercharger was long gone when I got it.(34 years ago).

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28
    4E2
    59 Lark
    etc

Comment

Maybe its off a supercharged engine, to clear the blower mount??
      I may have one somewhere.
      I have the engine pulleys(I think)and supercharger mount with idler pulley which incorporates the water filler or hose neck.

Its in the barn somewhere. Its off a long gone 55 Commander coupe that was redone to look like a 56 Hawk(with butterknife trim yet!)The supercharger was long gone when I got it.(34 years ago).

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28
      4E2
      59 Lark
      etc

Comment

Bob; it is not a '57-'58 GH filler pipe they have an actual "ARC" in them and look nothing like that. My best guess is that you have you-self a Genuine Cadillac filler pipe! The fuel pump hole looks too low for a Stude. it would take a different push rod. Hint: Caddy's had a dark, almost Purple BLUE paint.

You know the more I think about it, some of the filler pipe gaskets
        I have gotten lately from S.I. are not the old Stude. shape at all, I bet they are Caddy & fit your pipe like a charm! They have the same bolt hole loc. but are a different shape, still work just not as good.

Rich.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob; it is not a '57-'58 GH filler pipe they have an actual "ARC" in them and look nothing like that. My best guess is that you have you-self a Genuine Cadillac filler pipe! The fuel pump hole looks too low for a Stude. it would take a different push rod. Hint: Caddy's had a dark, almost Purple BLUE paint.

You know the more I think about it, some of the filler pipe gaskets
          I have gotten lately from S.I. are not the old Stude. shape at all, I bet they are Caddy & fit your pipe like a charm! They have the same bolt hole loc. but are a different shape, still work just not as good.

Rich.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I knew it wasn't G-Hawk. I've got one of those filler pipes here, but you might be right about the Caddy. Although I will say, that pump mount's close - if not exactly the same height as the straight pipe. I'll measure them later.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I knew it wasn't G-Hawk. I've got one of those filler pipes here, but you might be right about the Caddy. Although I will say, that pump mount's close - if not exactly the same height as the straight pipe. I'll measure them later.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Looks identical to the one on my 390 Caddy

Comment

Looks identical to the one on my 390 Caddy

Comment

Agree on the Cadillac diagnosis. I don't believe the one on the right (blue in color) is a Studebaker part. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Agree on the Cadillac diagnosis. I don't believe the one on the right (blue in color) is a Studebaker part. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

OK, Bob, you sufficiently piqued my interest [}] that I just tore up my library looking for a good picture of an early Cadillac OHV V-8 engine. The best I can come up with is an underexposed photo in The Standard Catalog of 1906-2002 V-8 Engines by John Gunnell.

The photo of a 1949ish Cadillac V-8 engine on a stand for a new-car show appears to have that oil pipe/fuel pump arrangement, as near as can be seen. It isn't all that clear because the photo, as printed, is too dark to view much detail. [xx(] BP

Comment

OK, Bob, you sufficiently piqued my interest [}] that I just tore up my library looking for a good picture of an early Cadillac OHV V-8 engine. The best I can come up with is an underexposed photo in The Standard Catalog of 1906-2002 V-8 Engines by John Gunnell.

The photo of a 1949ish Cadillac V-8 engine on a stand for a new-car show appears to have that oil pipe/fuel pump arrangement, as near as can be seen. It isn't all that clear because the photo, as printed, is too dark to view much detail. [xx(] BP

Comment

Awhile ago, I stood them side-by-side on the bench. Rich probably is right in his guess at it being a Caddy part. I actually built a '56 Caddy engine 30-some years ago, but I don't remember much of the details.[B)]
                            The fuel pump mounting face is maybe a quarter inch lower than on the stude pipe.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Awhile ago, I stood them side-by-side on the bench. Rich probably is right in his guess at it being a Caddy part. I actually built a '56 Caddy engine 30-some years ago, but I don't remember much of the details.[B)]
                              The fuel pump mounting face is maybe a quarter inch lower than on the stude pipe.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X