• Show
Clear All

• Chris' other Eye Candy 3/10 The "muppet" car

Oh my...[)]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    Chris Dresbach

A bear in his natural habitat.. a Studebaker!

Here's some fun facts about Fozzies ride:

Fozzie's Studebaker is the car bequeathed to Fozzie Bear by his hibernating uncle in The Muppet Movie. Kermit the Frog joins Fozzie in the car on their way to Hollywood, singing "Movin' Right Along" on the way. Following two close encounters with Doc Hopper, the Electric Mayhem repaint the car as camouflage, allowing the vehicle to blend in with a soda billboard.

Two Studebakers, 1951 Commanders specifically, were used in the film. One unaltered vehicle was used for long-shots. The other car was specially outfitted to create the illusion that Fozzie was driving, with a monitor hidden in the car's bullet nose and the real driver in the trunk. The Muppet Show Fan Club newsletter offered further details: [1]

How does Fozzie drive a car? He doesn't -- a midget drives the car by remote control from the trunk, using a television monitor to guide his steering. The puppeteers were lying on the seat or were scrunched on the floor and couldn't see a thing. The first time they tried 'driving', the television monitor went on the blink, and the driver had to be talked through the scene by an assistant director on a walkie-talkie. 'A little to the right, now, to the left... hold it...'

One of the two repainted Studebakers is currently on display at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana. The car's paint has faded considerably, and the Museum is accepting donations to help them "restore this star to its former glory."

T.J. Fletcher
    North Atlanta, Ga
    1958 Champion 2-door sedan
    T.J. Fletcher
    North Atlanta, Ga
    1958 Champion 2-door sedan

Comment

Ohhhhhh! So THATS your plans for the model 'N'! It's very....colorful!

Autumn at Lake Barget
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Ohhhhhh! So THATS your plans for the model 'N'! It's very....colorful!

Autumn at Lake Barget
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        Well, uh, not quie...[)]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hey Chris!! Keep up the good work!!! Its your posts that help my days go by with Studebakers always on my mind--- Thanks,Frankie[8D]

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by vintageblueoval

A bear in his natural habitat.. a Studebaker!

Here's some fun facts about Fozzies ride:

Fozzie's Studebaker is the car bequeathed to Fozzie Bear by his hibernating uncle in The Muppet Movie.

I thought they bought the car from a dealer in the movie. Remember the hairy thing smashing the bug on the windshield and making it read $19.95 instead of $1995. Steve

STOLEN Studebaker!Ventura County ad says contact
            Barry @ 805-218-3658

sigpic

Comment

They traded the Stude in for $12 and bought the woodie station wagon (sorry don't know the brand) for $11.95 after Sweetums swatted the bug. Ended up with Milton Berle owing them 5 cents.

It was the first movie I bought, back in the days when a VHS VCR was $2,000.

Russ
              Los Alamos NM
              Russ
              Pagosa Springs, CO

Comment

Attendees at Gettysburg 1980 recall the film playing constantly, in a room just off the hotel lobby.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As some of you may think this was not my inspiration for my 66 in my signature photo

Tom

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1

As some of you may think this was not my inspiration for my 66 in my signature photo

Tom

I have to ask, what was your inspiration[?] And how did you manage to paint it that way? That had to take a lot of time and tallent.

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                    X