SBC TBI with 700R4 in a Stude sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC TBI with 700R4 in a Stude sedan

I realize that fitting a small block Chevy in a Stude is almost plug 'n' play (especially in a 1965-66 model); but Dick Steinkamp (sp) stated that installing a 700R4 is a PITA.

Why I wonder is I already have a running donor car with a beat up body (1989 Chevy Caprice) and would like to use as much of it to facilitate such a swap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I have the same combo in my 54K. SBC 350 TPI, 700R4 and 10 Bolt rear end from a 1990 Caprice 9C1 police car.

The main issues with the trans install is tunnel clearance from the firewall to the rear seat area and the install of a one piece drive shaft. The mods are not difficult but you will be cutting and modifying the tunnel area somewhat. I guess you could shorten the two piece Stude shaft but mine was a champion so I narrowed the 9C1 3.42 posi and used a mid 60's impala driveshaft which was the correct length.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

I have the same combo in my 54K. SBC 350 TPI, 700R4 and 10 Bolt rear end from a 1990 Caprice 9C1 police car.

The main issues with the trans install is tunnel clearance from the firewall to the rear seat area and the install of a one piece drive shaft. The mods are not difficult but you will be cutting and modifying the tunnel area somewhat. I guess you could shorten the two piece Stude shaft but mine was a champion so I narrowed the 9C1 3.42 posi and used a mid 60's impala driveshaft which was the correct length.

Bob

More and more: the idea of fitting just a SBC TBI setup in front of a TH350 AT is looking better and better..........especially in conjunction with a ca. 3:00 rear end. With the stock 15" wheels, I would not be turning very high RPM's on the highway------even at 75 MPH. I have no desire to hack up the floorboards/transmission tunnel.

Comment

200R4 would fit anywhere a 700 would and should work with the same controls bellhousing etc as your 700. With some work they'll live. a T350 fits real easy.

Comment

My 66 Daytona has an 86 Caprice 350 and 700R4 in it. BUT FYI - the entire trans tunnel and part of the firewall was replaced by the PO before the swap - and the new tunnel is quite tall and wide.

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          '66 Frankenbaker
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by scott.rodgers

My 66 Daytona has an 86 Caprice 350 and 700R4 in it. BUT FYI - the entire trans tunnel and part of the firewall was replaced by the PO before the swap - and the new tunnel is quite tall and wide.

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            '66 Frankenbaker
            Thank you.

That answered my question: no 700R4 for me then. More and more, the idea of a 305-350 TBI with a TH350 driving a stock Stude 3:07(?) rear end sounds best. Besides; Studes had rather tall tires as stock so low 3 series gears would almost act like an overdrive.

Comment

I put a 700R4 in my '59 Lark, tight, but nothing hits. A beefed 200R4 may be a better choice for strength and clearance. My floorpan may be shaped differently than yours. The 700R4 3.00 first gear really get things moving in a hurry, lotsa fun! The 4th overdrive really settles the engine down. All a matter of preference.

Art

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc, 700R4, 8.8" rear w/ 3.73 gears

Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

Comment

Working...
              X