whatisit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whatisit?

One time we we were at a show in our '53. An elderly woman pointed to our Studebaker sign and started talking excitedly to the younger woman next to her in a language I did not understand. The younger woman then explained that her mother recognized the name from all the big American trucks she saw in Russa during and after WWII, and wondered if there was a relationship. When I explained it was in fact the same company that made the trucks, she seemed very pleased.

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

One time we we were at a show in our '53. An elderly woman pointed to our Studebaker sign and started talking excitedly to the younger woman next to her in a language I did not understand. The younger woman then explained that her mother recognized the name from all the big American trucks she saw in Russa during and after WWII, and wondered if there was a relationship. When I explained it was in fact the same company that made the trucks, she seemed very pleased.

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
      1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Oh to be so fortunate to be able to drive a Studebaker in Feb.
        Wish I had your problem

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
        1960 Lark 2dr
        1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Wish I had your problem

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
          1960 Lark 2dr
          1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It has gotten so that people don't know what Studebaker is over here, either, but I have never had anyone ask if mine was made in Russia!

Last fall as I was stopped at a toll booth in my convertible with the top down, a Black guy shouted from a truck in the next lane...

Hey man, what kind of car that be?

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

It has gotten so that people don't know what Studebaker is over here, either, but I have never had anyone ask if mine was made in Russia!

Last fall as I was stopped at a toll booth in my convertible with the top down, a Black guy shouted from a truck in the next lane...

Hey man, what kind of car that be?

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 2R5

Wish I had your problem

Really a problem to use my Lark everyday . Central Valley of Chile in summer(now in february) has a climate like California (Our agriculture is exactly the same).
                But in July our temp is below zero and very humid. Then the Lark rests and see almost no use.

Studebakerchile

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 2R5

Wish I had your problem

Really a problem to use my Lark everyday . Central Valley of Chile in summer(now in february) has a climate like California (Our agriculture is exactly the same).
                  But in July our temp is below zero and very humid. Then the Lark rests and see almost no use.

Studebakerchile

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

Nikita Kruschev mentioned Studebaker trucks in his memoirs (Kruschev Remembers).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

Nikita Kruschev mentioned Studebaker trucks in his memoirs (Kruschev Remembers).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

It's interesting to see what other people think our cars actually are.
                        The most common ones people seem to think my Hawk is is either a Thunderbird or ... a ... Jaguar! HA!

Anyone else?

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
                        - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

It's interesting to see what other people think our cars actually are.
                          The most common ones people seem to think my Hawk is is either a Thunderbird or ... a ... Jaguar! HA!

Anyone else?

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
                          - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

I've said this before..but a guy rolled down his window at a stoplight and asked of my Avanti..
                            "Is that a Jag-wire?".

And I've seen people mouth "Studebaker" as they read the rear nameplate (and my SDC license plate frame).

I've often wondered what I'd say if I saw one for the first time?
                            Alfa, Ferarri? Jag?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've said this before..but a guy rolled down his window at a stoplight and asked of my Avanti..
                              "Is that a Jag-wire?".

And I've seen people mouth "Studebaker" as they read the rear nameplate (and my SDC license plate frame).

I've often wondered what I'd say if I saw one for the first time?
                              Alfa, Ferarri? Jag?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X