Newbie Needs Car Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Needs Car Info

Hi Everyone! Just joined the group. (When I get a job will join SDC.)
    I don't have any Studies, only an '01 Stang GT ragtop. Maybe some day if I win the lottery!!!!

But, I come from a long line of Studie owners including my dad and all three of his brothers! My grandparents drove ONLY Studebakers from the '20's till my grandfather died in 1971. (In fact, in the early twenties he was fired from the Ford Highland Park plant because he refused to drive one of Henry's cars!) I remember when I was little in the early '50's, at one time four Stude's lived at our house, a '49 Champion, a '50 Champion, a '51 Champion and a '51 Commander!!!! My uncle had a '27 President and '54 coupe that he was restoring until he died about 10 years ago.

I recently got some old papers that my grandparents had. There are two documents about them buying a Studebaker, but neither one has the year or model. The serial numbers and engine numbers are as follows:

Serial # H162-547, Engine # H104284
    Serial # G-672931 Engine # 763917

Can anyone tell me where to go (alright now - let me finish!) to find a database where I can find out the year and model of these two cars?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rodger, welcome to the forum!! Hope you find a job soon, for the sake of having a job first, and second to be able to join the club.

I don't have the 'ending' numbers, but the G serial number and engine number indicate that it was a 1950 Champion built in South Bend, the engine came from either South Bend or Los Angelos.

There are others on the forum that will be able to tell you more specifically about your numbers, and they will chime in soon.

Welcome.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Hi Rodger, Welcome to the forum!! There are some KQQL People and cars here.Enjoy, Frankie

Comment

Rodger, On the home page of this forum is a link for technical data. I went there and this is what I found.

The H104284 engine number is for a '40 Commander, 10A model, 226 ci engine.

The 763917 engine number is for a '50 Champion, 9G model, 170 ci engine. That particular number is very close to the end of 50 production.

Those serial numbers should also yield good info for you, but I don't have it. Others will.

On the '50, look on the engine side of the firewall, passenger side, and you will find a tag that reads something like 9G W with one digit following the W. Mine is 9G W3. It will also have a number series which identifies the body number of the car.

Can't help you with finding that same info on the '40, I don't have one of those.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club and to our SDC Forum Rodger!

For your information, where you would find what is needed to I.D. the Model and Year of the Studebakers your family owned would be the Starting Serial Number list in the front of the various year group Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and the Body Parts Catalog, they are available in book form or for only $19.95 on CD at Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

I understand you now have the info you asked for and that most if not all of the cars are now gone, but later when you are looking to buy a Studebaker and when I am sure you WILL own one, this may be helpful info.

Also, when you have a Car Serial number needing all of the Production Order information, copies ARE available fairly reasonable at the Studebaker National Museum, South Bend, IN.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
            Any numbers or build sheets you may want to locate in the future, I would try the studebaker national museum archives. They have a little bit of everything.

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
            Parts of the 1952 Model N
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help. It's nice to be able to put a memory picture to these numbers. I remember the '50 Champion. It was red and my grandmother drove that little car until the middle '60's.

Again, THANKS!

Comment

Working...
              X