Studebaker Avanti R-4's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti R-4's

Someone has to know how many were built and the VIN#'s. I would greatly appreciate some help on this one. Thanks
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Someone has to know how many were built and the VIN#'s. I would greatly appreciate some help on this one. Thanks
    There were no R-4 Avantis factory built.

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

It's well documented...none were factory produced. I've seen a few Avanti's with R4 engines installed but they were retro-fitted, or possibly the original R1 with an R4 intake and carbs installed to look like an R4.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Yes, no R4 Avantis and only nine R3's. The only R4 ever built by Studebaker was 64V-15405 a Daytona (VJ8).

Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I think I have this Daytona in my garage, if anyone
          want's to bid on it sight unseen. Kinda like some of
          the ebayers, ocean front property in Arizona.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

Thanks as that was what I thought. However, a friend of mine was at the recent Boca Raton Concours d' Elegance show and guess what the car shown below is badged as an R-4. The sign in front of the car indicated a National Award winner at SDC International Meets etc..... When I looked up the owner of the car through other means I found he only owned an R-1. Very interesting

sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

We have a member here in Perth, Western Australia with an R4 Avanti.
              As sugguested it was not factory however it was installed by the Granatelli's early on in the piece. He also has an R4 64 2 dr Ht which was used as a race car in the day. Again the engine was installed for racing and not factory.
              pb

Comment

Believe it or not, I have seen a factory photo of an R4 Avanti engine compartment. So, at least one was factory fitted with the R4 but was evidently never sold in that configuration.

Comment

Working...
                X