info needed on 54 Champion 2dr post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info needed on 54 Champion 2dr post

I need info on my newly acquired stude,such as who built it etc.The guy I purchased it from in Wisconsin did'nt know much on the history of it.The car was advertized by an outfit out of Indiana that sells cars on consignment a few years ago but they were'nt much help either.Here is the ad they ran,http://americandreamcars.com/1954studebaker022609.htm if anyone has any info please let me know.I would really appreciate it.P.S if you've seen it at car shows in the past let me know when and where also.You can contact me at 1morley@sbcglobal.net also here is a few pics of my car,she's got a Olds 455 with 9"ford rear end and soon to have a rear steer rack&pinion this spring and I hope to move the fuel fill to behind the tail light also.Thanks,Steve

You can make a good start by ordering a build sheet
    from the Studebaker Museum.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

Very refreshing to see a 2 door thats not a C or K. Looks very well done...do you have any idea what the console is out of? Thanks,Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Here is a tip for you, if you hit the space bar (enter) between each picture, they will list down, instead of ACROSS about 5 or 6 monitor widths! [:0]

After you have been here a while you will get more familiar with this great Forum, that's what learning is all about, welcome! [^]

You use the page with a yellow pencil on it ICON to revise a post, it is available when you are logged in at the TOP of the page (screen) and then click on your post, thanks.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Steve, I don't normally go for mods, but that is one beautiful car.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The appearance of that '54 F-body has improved 100% by the filling-in of the body seam between the rear fender/rear quarter filler panel; a design flaw that wasn't rectified until 1956. I only hope the natural flexing of the body doesn't cause it to crack over time.

Craig

Comment

The instrument panel/dash tells us that the car originally had
              a six cylinder flathead engine in it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              ....On the road, again....
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Posted - 02/25/2010 : 12:57:25 PM
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A nice car. About all that I can tell you is that it started as a 1953 Champion (six cylinder) two door sedan. By saying "2dr post" there can be confusion between a two door Starlight coupe and a two door sedan (that you have). The bodies are completely different. The grille bars are among the few common exterior parts. No sheet metal is the same between the two two door body styles. By calling the car a "2dr post" I assume that you are young as that is a fairly recent descriptive term. Good luck on finding the information that you desire.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The car was built around 1997 and has about 30k miles on it since and shows no sign of cracking or anything,although it could stand a repaint here and there,nothing too serious.
                  quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

The appearance of that '54 F-body has improved 100% by the filling-in of the body seam between the rear fender/rear quarter filler panel; a design flaw that wasn't rectified until 1956. I only hope the natural flexing of the body doesn't cause it to crack over time.

Craig

Comment

First off it's a 54 not a 53,just the grill is from a 53.And second I'm over 60 and it is a 2dr post or sedan,same thing,if it was a coupe it would be called a coupe.I've called 2dr sedans post cars for as long as I can remember.
                    quote:Originally posted by studegary

Posted - 02/25/2010 : 12:57:25 PM
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A nice car. About all that I can tell you is that it started as a 1953 Champion (six cylinder) two door sedan. By saying "2dr post" there can be confusion between a two door Starlight coupe and a two door sedan (that you have). The bodies are completely different. The grille bars are among the few common exterior parts. No sheet metal is the same between the two two door body styles. By calling the car a "2dr post" I assume that you are young as that is a fairly recent descriptive term. Good luck on finding the information that you desire.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I think it maybe out of a GM car(Camaro?)I not sure.That's one of the reasons I would like to find out who built it so I can find out that and many more things.
                      quote:Originally posted by junior

Very refreshing to see a 2 door thats not a C or K. Looks very well done...do you have any idea what the console is out of? Thanks,Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.

Comment

I built up one 1953 Commander Starliner out of many different year/model parts. When I sold the car, besides telling the guy, I also included a lengthy written description of what was in the car. I got a call a couple of years ago from a new owner of the car. He had heard that I previously owned it (built it). I asked about the list. He didn't get any listing. I gave him all of the component information over the telephone. I do not know why anyone would remove such a listing from a modified car. I can understand your search.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You do have to understand why we thought it may be a '53, about the only difference between the two, are the Taillights and the Grille Bars, since the rest of the trim is removed, but they are BOTH 1953!

StudeRich
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you can give us the numbers/letters on the body plate, (Pass side, firewall), or the SN, driver's A pillar, we can easily solve the date/age problem. We can tell what Studebaker thought it was.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                            Tom Bredehoft
                            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                            ....On the road, again....
                            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Oooooo I like this car...

I call 2dr sedans (like my Lark) "posts" too. Dunno why; I just like the sound of it.

Did I mention that I like this car?

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X