From the Archives #37 (1897 art)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #37 (1897 art)

Chilkoot pass Klondike 1897-98 gold rush. Original art commissioned by Studebaker. The original is in a portrait format and quite large. Well done I think.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Had the chance to purchase that artwork 10 years ago but passed it up which I now regret. Thanks for the posting Dick.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

I have a map of Alaska with 'routes to the gold fields' printed on it. On the back of the map is a large ad for Studebaker. It also came with a thicker redish paper cover with ads printed on it. The copyright is 1898.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Richard, you have really tugged on my heart strings with this one, Thanks for posting a great portrait that depicts just one of the many ways Studebaker played a part in the early hidtory of this country and the impact that they had. Really appreciate what you are doing with these photos and art pieces.

Mr. Quigley you missed one here but got a winner with the Waddell one.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Not to take away anything from the painting, it is quite striking... but as a person who hiked the Chilkoot trail many years ago, I can tell you there were no wagons used on it. The trail is far too steep and narrow for such vehicular traffic. The route near the summit was so steep, an enterprising individual constructed a tramway to haul goods to the summit of the pass.

Now, it could be the White Pass over which a road and rail line were constructed several miles to the east from the Chilkoot Pass.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter
          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Richard, thanks. That's a beautiful piece of artwork. Looks like a real treasure.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Long Island Studebaker Club
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

There is an SDC member that has reproduced this artwork and sells the prints.
              I will get his name and post later this week.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
              X