PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a '60 Marshal project?

Skinnys Garage
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I've mentioned here before about the possibility of selling my '60 Marshal, but never really got too serious about it. That's still the case, as I still don't know exactly what I should do with it. That's where the forum comes into play, I'd like some input - good or bad - with some ideas on what to do with it.

I could keep it, continue to work on it as I find time, and someday (many years from now and lots of dollars later) have a very special car to show at Stude meets. I bought it many years ago to hotrod, but after learning about it's history I just can't do that. It would be on the back burner behind a couple other projects and may not get worked of for years, but still would be mine.

Next option is to spend some more time and money to finish rebuilding the engine, rebuild the brakes, install and fit some of the major body and floor parts, get the car functioning and list on E-Bay as a driving project.

Last option is what I'm proposing here, sell or trade it "as-is" to someone willing to take on the project. It won't be easy and will need everything restored or replaced to bring it to the standard it deserves.

The main thing I'm curious of, is if there is anyone with an interesting trade (thinking Stude, but anything considered) in driving, near driving condition or hotrod material? With the NOS body parts and CE floor parts, I'm in the $3500 range, $2500 without. I realize that this car is in tough shape, but it's one of 56 (52 with the HD tranny) 289 powered Marshals ordered for the Milwaukee Police Dept. with no others presently known to exist. It has a lot of special options and a very special paint code. The 7 pages of the "special deviation" gives information on the fleet order and has enough info on them to look up the other cars. This would determine if any of the others had this special '59 paint color if you wanted to dig further.

I don't see anything on the car that can't be fixed, rusty parts can be replaced. The frame is solid enough to clean up and repair with only one small hole and flaking in places along the bottom plate. The engine will clean up with a normal overbore and the heads are already done. It was complete when I got it and all removed parts are in boxes to go with the car.

I welcome opinions here or use the forum e-mail if you need more info or have a trade idea. Unfortunately I'm not on either "wrong coast" located in NE South Dakota, so shipping could be an issue. Here's a link to my other thread that has more info on this car.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?22720-60-Marshal-Updates

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/f893982a.jpg
Skinny
Watertown, SD

bams50
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Geez, those floors aren't all that ugly! That will be a great get for somebody. Guaranteed to be a star at any Stude meet!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag1-1.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA

8E45E
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage
I'd like some input - good or bad - with some ideas on what to do with it.

I could keep it, continue to work on it as I find time, and someday (many years from now and lots of dollars later) have a very special car to show at Stude meets.

With the NOS body parts and CE floor parts, I'm in the $3500 range, $2500 without. I realize that this car is in tough shape, but it's one of 56 (52 with the HD tranny) 289 powered Marshals ordered for the Milwaukee Police Dept. with no others presently known to exist. It has a lot of special options and a very special paint code. The 7 pages of the "special deviation" gives information on the fleet order and has enough info on them to look up the other cars. This would determine if any of the others had this special '59 paint color if you wanted to dig further.

I welcome opinions here

I say KEEP it, and restore carefully on your own time and budget. When you are finished, you have something very special that no one else has, I'm sure!

I just know how mad you be at yourself if you sold it and happen to see it restored and someone else getting all the attention for having such a rare car that YOU found and cared enough about it to document.

Craig

silverhawk
02-24-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm with Craig on that one.

Dylan Wills
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/My%201961%20studebaker%20lark/Tobeputindylansfile003.jpg
'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon

avantilover
02-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Keep it and do it when you can, Like the others say, you have a rare car. No guarantee anyone you sold it to wouldn't give up on it oneday and scrap it.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

JGK 940
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
It's a keeper. You'll kick yourself if you let it go.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Skinnys Garage
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Looks like the consensus is to keep it or I'll regret it. Thanks for the posts, I guess it isn't hurting anything sitting in the corner for a while. I may have to modify my thinking on it a little though. I said that after I learned the history of the car I couldn't hot rod it, well I've thought about it for a while now and wonder "Why not?" I wouldn't do anything to it that can't be "undone", so why not have my cake and eat it too? Nearly all the stuff that I would do to it for a hot rod would need to be done for a restoration anyway. Allen's black '56 is the direction I'm talking about, only with my factory color. That was pretty much my plan 30 yrs ago when I found it, so I guess it's true - always go with your first instinct.;)[8D]

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/f893982a.jpg
Skinny
Watertown, SD

silverhawk
03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Sweet!

Dylan Wills
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/My%201961%20studebaker%20lark/Tobeputindylansfile003.jpg
'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon