Hello! New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! New to the forum

Hi -- Thought I would register here to maybe drop in every so often and ask a question. I'm in my 30s, but have been interested in Studebakers for quite some time. Actually, i've always loved old cars (first car was a 65 Mustang coupe) and now own a 66 fastback.

I have been intrigued by the 50/51 bulletnose cars, but don't see too many down here in Texas. I did finally get to view one in person about 7-8 years ago at a used car lot. It was a 51 champion 4 door, wasn't in great shape, but the design of the car I just could not get over.

I vowed to someday own a bulletnose Studebaker, and I am so serious now I am actually considering selling my 66 Mustang GT. After doing some research, I have focused my search on either a 50 or 51 Business or Starlight coupe. My plans are to keep it original cosmetically, but maybe update a few things to make the car less work to maintain.

Owning an old Mustang, I am used to doing basic maintenance, but 60s cars, to me, seem fairly modern compared to 50s and earlier vehicles -- feel free to correct me as I am here to learn, and I know you guys have the experience with these old Studebakers.

I guess I am looking for advice also, on what to watch out for, what modern upgrades are feasible, and maybe what price range would be appropriate for the car I am looking for. Thanks for any input!
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Basic rule of thumb with any collector car is to buy the best you can afford because it will be cheaper in the long run. I'd look for a rust free, west coast 51 Commander V8. 10-12K should get you a nice example.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the SDC. As I read your thread I immediatly though of the advice you should have, but I see JDP beat me to it.
      "Buy the BEST one you can find" The money you spend on a good one will be save three times over in comparison to the money you will spend fixing a rusty one. Seems to me there was a nice one near Fresno listed on ebay or this forum just a month or so ago.
      I had the pleasure of building one a few years ago. Corvette front suspension, 9" ford, LT1, turbo 400, air ride front and rear, etc.
      Nicest car I have ever driven! It was a 50 4dr though.
      Spend your money on a better model!! It costs less to build a coupe than a 4dr and it is worth at least twice as much when you are finished.
      Brian

Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Also this is a good place for help. Drop in more often.
        Brian

Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Welcome aboard. You will love driving a bullet nose. It never gets ignored.

Doug
          Venice, Florida
          1950 Champion
          9G F1

Comment

There's also the 2 door that's neither the Starlight nor the business coupe - they can be somewhat easier to find.

Also, don't forget that 47-52 Champions can accept the 50-51 front Champion sheet metal, so you could get a nice example of one of those and make it into a bullet nose if need be.

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            '66 Frankenbaker
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

It's worth mentioning to a new guy like yourself that while visually similar, the 50 and 51 Studebakers are quite different underneath in reagrds to engines, suspension and steering.
              A 51 is mechanically similar to the later models almost all the way to 66. The 50, not so much.

Comment

I think the 50 has the prettier nose!
                Not to open up a debate, just my personal observasion or taste.
                Brian
                I also prefer the "Business" coupe to the "Starlite"

Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Basic rule of thumb with any collector car is to buy the best you can afford because it will be cheaper in the long run. I'd look for a rust free, west coast 51 Commander V8. 10-12K should get you a nice example.

JDP/Maryland
                  Welcome to the Forum Michael! JDP's advice (highlighted above) is spot on. [^] Fortunately with most Studebaker models doing so won't break the bank (as much as some other brands).

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island Chapter
                  http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

oops! "Starlight" guess I should proof my replies before pressing play.

Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

'51 on EBAY...just a state away!

Ted
                      '57 Champion

If you have the time: http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/studebaker

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Michael! You'll love it here, and it helps while you go crazy.

Your taste in cars is perfect. The bulletnose is the best car to have. People always recognize them and want to talk about them. I've had mine for 61 years, go figure that math out!

It's the one in my signature, below.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

keep in mind that Commander business coupes are impossible to find, so if you find that you require V-8 power, you might want to concentrate your efforts on looking for a Starlight or a 2-door sedan. (or, if you don't mind four doors, a '51 Land Cruiser would make a heck of a nice driver.)

If you are the type of person who doesn't mind mixing and matching parts, a '52 Commander hardtop with a '51 front clip would be a neat looking car.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hi Michael!! Welcome!! Great choice!! even though I like the first generation Mustangs,It seems like any one can own or build one, & you see them everywhere,but when when you pull in with a "Stude" people just gravitate to them---- Great people here on the forum and very helpful!! They have been nice to me,Right Guys??? If your used to all that "Pony Power" have you thought abought checking out The Studebaker Hawk??[8D] They are real KQQL & fast as well-- Good luck and everyone here is willing to help, AS Always, Frankie[8D]

Comment

I see you are in the DFW area.For a person looking for their first Studebaker a
                              suggestion if I may.Find a local Studebaker person to go with and look over what you
                              might be looking to buy.Especially if that helper owns a similar year or model.Too often I have seen someone wishing to buy their first car of a brand they havent been around a lot making a error in a purchase and getting soured on the deal after purchase.You will make a new friend and feel more comfortable about your new ride.Plus they may know where a car exactly like your looking for may be tucked away in your area.Happy Hunting!
                              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                              X