Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to brake banjo fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to brake banjo fittings?

Just another sign the apocalypse is upon us. For more than fifty years, most every US car had the brass banjo fittings on the back of the master cylinder and on the rear axle. Every parts store had a big Weatherhead cabinet filled with fittings and washers.

Yesterday, one of the fittings on my C-cab truck project had a leak. I went to every parts store and hose store in town. Some of the counter people didn't even know what I was asking for and none had either the fittings or the washers. A brake supply house had thousands of calipers, drums, cylinders, but said he didn't have a clue where to get the banjo fitting which makes it work.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Might try Speedway at speedwaymotors.com
    Found one under Hubs & brakes,page 123 in their 2010 Race & oval track master catalog #287.
    It's a round type with a part # 617-4049 7/16 to AN-3 and another 617-4063 AN-4. $10.99/$9.99
    If you have to have the old square type a salvage yard is your best bet.
    Also a crush washer # 617-3642 3/8 or 10mm & 617-3513 7/16
    If you go online search fittings.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Whatever happenedto banjo fittings?

Must have played out...........................

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I'm going to stay tuned in to this thread.

Doug
        Venice, Florida
        1950 Champion
        9G F1

Comment

Try not to string us along on the outcome.....[B)]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Do I detect a twang of humor here?

Comment

I think they were playing bluegrass the last time I was at Summit. At least they know what a banjo fitting is and list them with support parts. For a C-cab? That may be an actual Stude vendor packrat part...thankfully.

Find Parts and Accessories brake banjo fittings KEYWORD and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing!

Comment

Wish I had some snappy comeback[}]! I just picked up a new brake hose for my project and it had the banjo fitting crimped on one end. The donor vehicle is a '01 vintage, so they are still in use. The problem may be that the counter persons are literate when it comes to auto parts. It could also be that keeping a box of small parts is not fiscally sound to the bean counters because of the issues of pilfering and inventory. Neal

Comment

I've bought them before from Inline Tube, and Classic Tube. They have all sorts of brake related hardware, not just the lines.

Steve
                  Minden, Nevada

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project
                  Steve
                  Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

With bad puns like these, Bill Monroe is spinning in his grave and Bela Fleck is sending someone over to smack you guys.

Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket banjo fittings with the AN3 and AN4 male flare fittings. However, I did an extensive search and nowhere on line, Summit, Jegs, Speedway, Earls, did I find the old 1/8" female double flare double outlet brake line type.

Not saying it is not for sale somewhere, but a solid hour of web searching didn't find it for me. Appreciate anyone who does find it post a link here.

thnx jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

Brake and equipment.(800) 233-4053

Toll free call and I'll bet they have what you need.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

S.I. Catalog, Pg. 236.

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Everything from fittings, clips, stainless screws - almost every part - is getting very difficult to find. In addition, specialized tools are becoming harder to find.

Reasons:

(1) Getting the maximum amount of inventory turns per year. The philosophy is that if a product does not sell often, it should not be stocked. They *might* have a book where they can special order it for you. In other words, let your supplier stock the slow moving part.

(2) Why fix it with parts when you can buy a new one cheaply.

(3) Fewer people are capable of fixing anything.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

With bad puns like these, Bill Monroe is spinning in his grave and Bela Fleck is sending someone over to smack you guys.

thnx jack vines

PackardV8
                            Not many in the same league with those two!

Chip
                            '63 Cruiser daily driver
                            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Autozone carries a few, but you must ask for them, they are behind the counter. NAPA also has them, (I buy mine thru NAPA) there ARE different lengths on the banjo bolts! Look at them carefully.

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X