Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Lark Wagon

Hi,

I haven't been on this forum for many years. I have a 60 Lark Regal 4 door wagon that's been on jackstands in my garage patiently awaiting me to finish graduate school, for my kids to get a little older and less needy (right!) and for me have some disposable income! I've owned it since 1993, it has 54K original miles on it. It is in very good shape overall, just needs some freshening up. I used it as a driver for two years before starting some restoration work.

I'm finally getting around to getting it on the road again. The body work is done and I'm going through some mechanicals before doing the paintwork. I've recently refurbished the complete power steering system, replaced the engine/tranny mounts, and I'm waiting on a dual m/c bracket before launching into the braking system. That'll leave yanking the tranny to do a reseal job and then that should be it. . . and off to the paint shop for a new misting of beautiful Oasis Green!

I want to ask your collective expertice on 3rd row seating in Lark wagons. I have never seen one with this option. Was it an uncommon option? What did it look like, did the seat face the front or rear of the car? I heard the car used a captive air spare tire, where was this spare stored? Is it something that I could swap onto my wagon if I find a donor car? Do any of you have a Lark with the 3rd row seat that you could e-mail me some pictures of the setup?

Thanks, any answers are appreciated. I look forward to more conversation as I get my car roadworthy and presentable again.

~Mike

The seat faced rearward and folded into the spare tire well. That's why there was no spare. That's right - NO spare. That "Captive Air" line means that the tires could get punctured and still be driveable long enough for you to get to a repair place. So, theoretically, no spare had to be carried.[}] Try and find those today - a captive air tire, that is.
    As to the 3rd seat - they're EXTREMELY rare and I wouldn't want one (from a practical standpoint) if I could find one. One of our forum members recently acquired a '57 wagon that had that 3rd seat. He might even still have the photos up of that seat. His "handle" here is bams50. Do a search for threads he's started on this forum.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Agreeing with Mr. Biggs.......those rear facing third seats are neat to look at on someone elses car, but in the real world that is the Death Seat!

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I remember riding in a few of those as a kid (not in Studes but in other station wagons... remember station wagons?) they were not a good place to be if you were prone to motion sickness. something about riding backwards just seemed to set some people off.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I remember riding in a few of those as a kid (not in Studes but in other station wagons... remember station wagons?) they were not a good place to be if you were prone to motion sickness. something about riding backwards just seemed to set some people off.
          I took a trip to New York last week in a corporate Leer jet. It was set up with cabin seating (front 2 seats facing backwards) and I was in one of them. This plane was like a rocket, the pilot pulled back the stick, I went forward (towards the back of the plane) and the back of the seat fell on me. The whole trip made my stomach uneasy and it reminded of riding in one of those wagons!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I recall going on a trip through California mountains in my uncle's station wagon (as I recall, it was something other than a Studebaker). My brother and I were relegated to that rear facing seat. And yes, I did feel quite motion sick most of the time, as the car negotiated those hairpin mountain curves...ooh, it's coming back to me, I mean back up to me now...excuse me for a minute, I've got to go - feeling...kind of ....queasy....

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I understand that barf bags were standard equipment, right there in the compartment with the seat!
              Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Can you imagine what those seats would have to be like to pass "safety" muster in this day and age!!![8] Oh the dangers we baby boomers managed to survive! I never even rode in a car with a dual-piston master cylinder until the 80s! Talk about Dare-Devil![}]

NO - wait! I did briefly own a '70 Catalina before I discovered Studebakers.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep, my 57 has the third seat... my son's 16 but all his cousins are excited about getting to ride in it!

To me, all the safety fol-de-rol is silly... [)]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks for the great picture, Robert! And thanks for the comments everyone. I am interested in finding one for the 'neat' factor more than anything else. It appears to be a rare option so I doubt I'll find one, but now I know what to look for. It should be similar in the Lark wagon, I imagine. I found a roof rack, and that was the big wagon accessory I wanted!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X