Oil filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter question

Thanks to the forum search function I have deciphered my 63 Champ's engine ID & discovered that it is from a 62 Lark. The oil filter is a canister mounted on the fender with a rubber hose feeding the block. My question is, when did Studes go to a screw-on filter mounted on the block? Previous owner stated that it is a 259 w/2bbl Holly, bored .040, balanced,increased stroke & competition cam. Rebuild was 10 years ago.

The full-flow spin on filter was introduced mid-year in the 1962 model year. This means that there are 1962 engines with the full-flow system and also engines with the earlier partial-flow system, that also used a spin on filter but not directly on the block.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Just FYI, the OEM partial-flow filter used until mid-62 was not mounted on the fender, but on the oil filler pipe. I hope those rubber hoses were stronger than standard fuel lines.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Also in some truck applications, like my 7E7, the full flow block came with the partial flow filter up top on the filler pipe and a block off plate on the block where the oil filter mounted. My truck was built in May 62 so it was built past the midyear point.

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28

59 Lark
          etc

Comment

My 7E7 V-8 was built in June of '62 and has a canister type oil filter.

I just checked and it seems to have a block off plate where the full flow filter would mount. I have had this truck over 20 years and never noticed this.

Comment

Does your canister happen to say "FRANTZ" anywhere on it? Or is it a Fram?

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by doug

My 7E7 V-8 was built in June of '62 and has a canister type oil filter.
                I just checked and it seems to have a block off plate where the full flow filter would mount. I have had this truck over 20 years and never noticed this.
                I have a 7E13-131 Dually 1 Ton Transtar setup the same way, and I am putting a custom dual exhaust on, to clear the Full Flow Oil Filter I have added. That appears to be the reason why the late '62's like mine and probably other later "C" Cabs anyway, came from the factory that way and never had the full flow. I've never seen a "T" Cab set up that way though, your right head pipe may clear the filter.

The block off plate came with the replacement engines to put the early partial flow cars back to stock as replacement engines were required to do.
                I would check for a blank engine number on your's.

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich - original engine and exhaust would not clear a filter in that location. I l learn something every day.

Comment

Working...
                  X