PDA

View Full Version : V-8 Head Identification

wecklund
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Okay, I'm a "forum newbie" and I will apologize in advance if this post doesn't follow the accepted protocol. Quite some time ago I purchased a set of heads that I believed could be made to replace those on my 1952 Commander with a 232 V-8. The heads that came on that engine had a casting number "527772"; the standard head. The replacement have a casting number "535107". I can't find any reference to this number and it's been so long since I purchased them, I can't remember what year or engine model they were supposedly for. Any help that somebody might provide would certainly be appreciated.

Alan
02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the forum Will. Those 527772 heads were the sorriest set of heads ever put on a Stude V8. Anything would be an improvement. There is a search function around here that will lead you to the head casting numbers but I am computer illiterate so will let someone else lead you to the proper thread.

Flashback
02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Go back to home page. Click on tech tips specs and data.
then scroll down to head casting numbers click on it;)
O, SORRY, WELCOME to the forum, got pictures?[^]

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/DSC_0045-3.jpg

Dwain G.
02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
The 535107 are listed in the parts book for 1954 cars. They're a great replacement for the original heads. The original heads gave 7.0 to 1 compression ratio, these are rated at 7.5.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/IMG_0097-2.jpg

Kurt
02-17-2010, 05:34 AM
I put the later big valve heads on my 51 232. It really woke up that little engine. You have to make sure the valves won't hit the cylinder wall. It gets real close with those heads.

66 Commander R1 Clone
51 Commander 4dr

wecklund
02-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the help, one and all! I did check the tech tips section and the matrix of head part and casting numbers but, unless I missed something, I couldn't find the 535107 casting. I took a really close look at them last night next to the original heads and the only difference that I could "visually" see was it did appear that the volume of the combustion chambers was slightly smaller which makes all the sense in the world if compression was higher at 7.5. The valves appeared to be identical between both. Kurt, no problem getting the original intake manifold to line up properly with those heads?? Flashback, I'll have to see what I can dig up for pics, it's been a LONG time since it's been on the road but I know I have something somewhere. Thanx again!

Kurt
02-17-2010, 07:43 AM
I did not have any problems using the stock intake
quote:Originally posted by wecklund

Thanks for the help, one and all! I did check the tech tips section and the matrix of head part and casting numbers but, unless I missed something, I couldn't find the 535107 casting. I took a really close look at them last night next to the original heads and the only difference that I could "visually" see was it did appear that the volume of the combustion chambers was slightly smaller which makes all the sense in the world if compression was higher at 7.5. The valves appeared to be identical between both. Kurt, no problem getting the original intake manifold to line up properly with those heads?? Flashback, I'll have to see what I can dig up for pics, it's been a LONG time since it's been on the road but I know I have something somewhere. Thanx again!

66 Commander R1 Clone
51 Commander 4dr