Interesting car but somethings wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting car but somethings wrong.

This car looks like a good beginning for someone, but there is something fishy about the ad.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

I think the overbore would probably mean that internal combustion would go external - which is usually not a good thing.

Chris Pile
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I guess describing that the engine is bored 30,000 looks more impressive than the engine having been bored .030"? [8D]

Flo (she loves Studes because they are progressive)
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It sounds like the owner doesn't know anything about engines and that whoever he purchased it from, told him the engine was bored out "over bored 30 thousands" (of an inch) and has a 3/4 cam. Just repeating what he heard.

Comment

It sounds like the owner doesn't know anything about engines and that whoever he purchased it from, told him the engine was bored out "over bored 30 thousands" (of an inch) and has a 3/4 cam. Just repeating what he heard.

Comment

Comment

Didja have a hard time makin' that last post go thru? [)]

John

Comment

I've always wondered what people mean by "3/4 cam". Wouldn't that mean .750 lift?

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

3/4 worn????

Packardbakerly,
                  J.D.
                  sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                  J.D.

Comment

hey j.d. got a engle cam in that packard hawk?

John C.Stroud

Comment

I think 3/4 cam is a reference to the duration of lift. 3/4 duration is a 270 deg duration cam. 270 deg is 3/4 of 360 degrees which is a full circle. Someone who is a gearhead correct me please if I am wrong on this.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

I think 3/4 cam is a reference to the duration of lift. 3/4 duration is a 270 deg duration cam. 270 deg is 3/4 of 360 degrees which is a full circle. Someone who is a gearhead correct me please if I am wrong on this.

Back "in the day", there were 3/4 race cams and full race cams. I don't think the full race cam had 360 degrees of duration. I think they were just rather subjective descriptions of how much they "hopped up" an engine.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

True! A 3/4 race cam was fairly wild compared to a 1/2 race.This was common terminology in the seventies.People were more impressed if you said you had a 3/4 cam rather than a 1/2 race cam.The 3/4 was quite lumpy and a friend had a Holden with a 3/4 race Chev motor and the car would literally rock at idle and was painful until it got speed up.Used to get 6 mpg. which is about 5mpg U.S. I think.

A.C.Moisley
                          A.C.Moisley

Comment

I think by the 70s that term was dying out here. It was a way to tell someone that you had a modified cam, but it wasn't a race only piece. I remember J.C.Whitney advertising Studebaker cams that way. Stock grind,3/4 race, Full race. I don't remember a 1/2 race.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                            1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I agree. The 3/4 race term was more of a 1940s-60s descriptor, in the US at least. And I agree with Dick that it was more subjective and descriptive than quantitative. A full-race cam was way too lumpy to be driven on the street, but a 3/4 race sounded bad enough to impress bystanders.

Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X