• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravely eye candy

Part of my collection. Notice the bottom right corner.[8D]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Looks like it is still available...if you want to restore one!

Ted
    '57 Champion

Comment

That's really interesting. That must have been just after Studebaker bought Gravely. I had never seen or heard of that model. From the way the mower attaches, It looks like it is a Model L (two wheeler) built in to a rider body. I'll bet it is rear wheel steering.
      Shortly after Studebaker took over, Gravely was moved to Clemmons, North Carolina (susposedly to break the union). They had to give up manufacture of their own cast iron, pressure oiling, bullet-proof engine in favor of Onans [}]. I imagine that Westchester died at the same time.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeSchack

Looks like it is still available...if you want to restore one!

Ted
        '57 Champion
        If I got one, I know of one closer to South Bend. I could just see one of them with some big slicks on the rear and pipes sticking out under the hood breathin' fire![:0][][8D]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Get' em both...and start the Gravely Studebaker -only- race

Ted
          '57 Champion

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

That's really interesting. That must have been just after Studebaker bought Gravely. I had never seen or heard of that model. From the way the mower attaches, It looks like it is a Model L (two wheeler) built in to a rider body. I'll bet it is rear wheel steering.
            Shortly after Studebaker took over, Gravely was moved to Clemmons, North Carolina (susposedly to break the union). They had to give up manufacture of their own cast iron, pressure oiling, bullet-proof engine in favor of Onans [}]. I imagine that Westchester died at the same time.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

I just looked up a picture of one turning, and yes they are rear wheel steering. That would make then near impossible to hot rod and race with out basically reversing everything, and that is not and easy job even on something as simple as a lawn tractor.[V]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeSchack

Get' em both...and start the Gravely Studebaker -only- race

Ted
              '57 Champion
              ...I think I need a bigger yard...[B)]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

There aren't a whole lot of these left. Gravely took a 6.5 hp engine and got over 12 horses out of it. Unfortunately, when they did that they exceeded the capabilities of the aluminum crankcase. From what I hear from old dealers, the thing they did the best was fall apart.
                However, if anyone has one of the "tophat" mowers shown on the front let me know. I need one for my Westchester !!!!

Comment

My Dad bought a Gravely walk behind in 1967. I loved cutting the grass with that machine.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

Does anybody have a picture of under the hood one one of these things[?] I want to see how it can be modified.[8D][8]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Also, does anybody have a photo of just the steering wheel on one of these? I looked at a odd shot of one and made a weird discovery. The gravely westchester steering wheel is basically identical to the Brooks Stevens prototypes, scepter, daytona/lark, and early wagonare that are in the SNM![:0] I wonder who influenced who[?] I should buy one and put it on one of my racers.[8D]

Chris Dresbach

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Okay, I'll say it....that's the ugliest lawn mower I have ever seen! [:0]

Flo (she loves Studes because they are progressive)
                        In the middle of Minnestudea
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Okay, I'll say it....that's the ugliest lawn mower I have ever seen! [:0]

Flo (she loves Studes because they are progressive)
                          In the middle of Minnestudea
                          Girrr...[}] LOL
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Neat ad, thanks for posting.

I see that that is from 'Farm Journal'. I believe that is the only magazine I ever saw an ad for a 1964 Champ in. It was a B&W photo from the rear, so you could easily see the black "STUDEBAKER" tailgate letters.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
                            '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Chris

Another club to join...might have the pictures you're looking for:

This website is for sale! gravelytractorclub.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gravelytractorclub.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

And don't miss the annual "mow-in"...

This website is for sale! gravelytractorclub.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gravelytractorclub.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Ted
                              '57 Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X