Reminder (Pictures Added)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminder (Pictures Added)

All this talk about Toyota's has got me to thinking. I want to remind everyone to check your return springs on your cars make sure they are working properly. Go over in your mind just what to do with a stuck gas pedal. Just a reminder from experience. We lost a Studebaker and hurt a few kids.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Great point Anne! And for those Safety engineers among us who don't want to take a chance, a second throttle return spring is not a bad idea, saves you if one spring should break. Many cars come with a dual throttle return spring, usually it is a smaller diameter spring inside a larger one. That way they hook up to the same place and do not take extra space or connections.

Pat

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

Comment

I had this happen on a loaded gravel truck once and so I tied my foot to the accelerator pedal with some wire and got the load delivered.

SnowLark
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

My brother had it happen with a street &strip mustang , and there was 4 of us in the car , we hit a pole. Always turn the key off ,if this should happen. Or shift into neutral and turn the key off.

Comment

Page 11 of the government safety test spec calls out the requirement there be 2 "sources of energy" aka springs to force the throttle closed. I think this spec came out originally in about 1974.

Vehicles I am familiar with have a clock spring on the throttle shaft and coil spring made into the pedal cable to meet this requirement. I bet it would not be too difficult to incorporate a "hidden" spring if original appearance around the carb is desired.

Edit:

Apparently, these dual springs are available to replace the singles.

Don't look stock/original for show judging but not totally out of place either.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks for this post... it IS a good reminder. Having just worked on the engine in my truck, I had removed the throttle linkage for servicing. Even though I reattached the return spring, it did not have quite enough tension so that when I took the truck for a test drive afterwards, the throttle stuck open just enough to prevent the overdrive from engaging (when removing your foot from the gas pedal).

'Course with a stick, the easiest thing to do with a stuck throttle is to push the clutch pedal down.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island Chapter
            http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Pat Dilling

Great point Anne! And for those Safety engineers among us who don't want to take a chance, a second throttle return spring is not a bad idea, saves you if one spring should break. Many cars come with a dual throttle return spring, usually it is a smaller diameter spring inside a larger one. That way they hook up to the same place and do not take extra space or connections.

Pat

Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Yup, just put a second throttle return spring on my Lark this fall. Now the pedal is a bit stiffer than I like, but the peace of mind that it gives me is well worth it. Cheap way to add some safety to your Studebaker.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.

Comment

This whole Toyota thing is a reminder that there are to many disstraction while driving these days. Remember my drivers education class that our Instructor taught us -to leave yourself an out- another words be aware of your surronding for what if.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

ann,
                  Thank you for the post. I will have to install an extra spring in my car now.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

I still remember, Anne. Thanks for caring![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Well I just hope that no one was hurt to any real extent !!!!!!!!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The reason that the return spring broke in the 1982 Ford L9000 Cummins diesel powered gravel truck that I was driving is, with 500,000 plus miles on the truck, the spring and spring mount wore into each other. Being that the spring got worn thin, it finally gave out. I drilled a new hole in the spring mount and put a new spring in place and all was fine. So when inspecting your return spring you should also take a close look at the spring mount to insure that it doesnt have a razor sharp edge that may dig into the spring.

SnowLark
                        In the middle of Minnestudea
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63t-cab

Well I just hope that no one was hurt to any real extent !!!!!!!!
                          Ultimately everyone was OK. Here's the thread:

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                          X