Power Steering Gear Box/Saginaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Gear Box/Saginaw

Hey Fellas I might have to rebuild my Power Steering Gear box for my 57 President. How much am I looking at to fix the leak? Where and who does this?
    1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

From the pictures you posted earlier, you've got what is known as a saginaw "off-set" power steering gear. These were used from '53 through '57 before Studebaker changed to the bendix power steering setup in '58 (with a few exceptions). They are pretty rare prior to '55 though in my observation. These gears were used on GM cars in the mid 50s as well. Its possible one of the studebaker vendors will have seals for it if you want to attempt to tear into it. The shop manual has teardown instructions. However, there are LOTS of parts in there and may need special tools. I'm usually up to dig into 'most anything but decided to pass on that one when I installed one of them in my '53. I sent mine to this company:

This was 10-12yrs ago and it was in the $200 range to have it rebuilt then. Don't have any idea on current costs. Also do not know if any other place rebuilds them.

I think you have a GM pump from a newer vehicle connected to this gear. I'd be concerned the seals failed from too much pressure and a rebuild would be short lived. Its worth being sure where its leaking. These gears are actually a manual recirculating ball gear with a add-on power cylinder on the top. The lower portion where the arm comes out is separate from the upper portion where the power assist is. There is valving near where the steering column shaft goes in so its possible for leaks there to have ATF get into the lower section. The power part has the ATF from the pump running through it where the lower portion is gear oil (I think). Point being if the upper area is leaking due to excess pressure, new seals may not last. If the lower area is leaking gear oil you maybe able to reseal it OK. Most likely leak there is the shaft seal where the arm comes out.

Seems to me that N8N has some additional info on this box too.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thank you Jeff for taking your time and contributing to my problem. I will check with that company to see whats the cost now days and also with N8N he has helped me before as well. Thanks

Comment

that'd be me, I don't have any more info than what has already been posted. I actually am swimming in those gears as I have three of them - one that came with my car but leaked; one that I bought to replace it that didn't leak (initially) but feels like one of the springs may be broken, and one that I bought from Terry on this forum as his price was less than what Lares quoted me to rebuild. Due to the fact that the weather's been awful every weekend in recent memory, I have not yet swapped the "good" box into my car yet. However, if you are considering having Lares rebuild one and it would help, I'd be happy to sell you a core and direct ship it to them so you don't have to pull yours until the rebuilt one is ready to go.

Word of warning: those boxes are HEAVY. shipping likely will not be cheap.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I know they are pretty heavy. I actually have 2 of them the one on the car now (leaking) and the on from my parts car which still have fluid inside which is a good sign that it does not have a leak? but at the same time thats what i though for the one that is leaking now.

Comment

I just called www.larescorp.com and they want to charge $575 to rebuild the saginaw, wow i think thats way too much.

Comment

Is lares the only one that rebuild this saginaw box?

Comment

You might try to GOOGLE gearbox rebuilders and see who pops up.

Packardbakerly,
                J.D.
                sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                J.D.

Comment

Working...
                X