66 Stude update/Ford Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Stude update/Ford Mustang

I have been working, as you know, on the 66. I posted some earlier pictures of my progress. Since I have started on this car, my goal has been to have it drivable when spring rolls around. Well, looking at my schedule, I decided it was time to button up some loose ends and fire it up. I promised a friend of mine, I would help him with his Mustang this winter, and winter is slipping away. So the Stude left the shop and the Stang moved in.

Stude outside

Another view

The mustang in the Stude spot

This car is a very solid 65. Here in IL most of these cars aren't very good structurally. This one has zero rust. It doeshave a couple ugly dents though. Can't have eveything I guess. It is a base model, with a 200 six and automatic.

We are going to be doing a disk brake conversion on this car. Plus rebuild the front end.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

I like the color of the 66. That flat color just makes it look mean. Since there is such a hassle about what color to paint the wagon I think I will just leave it epoxy black.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Studebaker Diners Club

Comment

Lookin good ....keep the pics comin

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      1966 Daytona
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Between the body style, wheels and color, a very nice combination.

Looks great[]

Bob

Comment

Looks great! I think I'm becoming quite partial to that color / wheel combo also.

Comment

What brand and style are the wheels?
            Tom

sigpic

Comment

Just right! []

It would look good with NO stainless on the sides, or abbreviated stainless like Biggs did with the '63 I had...

I think the piece behind the rear door is from a Stude Station Wagon.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wheels are American Racing torque thrust D. As for the color, I am still undecided. I have a LOT of work to do before I worry about that anyway. I'll admit, I like the look of that epoxy primer and have thought maybe that is the "color" I should go with. As for the trim, I'm not sure what to do there either. I am thinking about puting the trim in the "63" location, because that is where the existing trim holes are. The rear fenders are from a 62, the doors are from a 63, with my 66 window frames installed, the front fenders are NOS. The grille is a64 NOS piece also. The inner fronts came from a 64 station wagon. The hood came from a 64 cruiser. With all of this mixing and matching, I have a ton of panel alignment issues to straihten out and I have lots of different trim options. Most people would have given up on this car, given it's original condition, but I keep plugging away, and it keeps improving. I plan on driving this car, and am not worried about originality. I just take the things that I like from all of the 62-66 Larks and try to apply them to this car.

66 Commander R1 Clone
                51 Commander 4dr
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kurt

We are going to be doing a disk brake conversion on this car. Plus rebuild the front end.
                  Mustang Steve makes a nice setup.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Its looking great so far
                    Tom

sigpic

Comment

I like your '66. Keep the pictures coming.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                      X