Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOT MY BUILD SHEET ON MY 55 PREZ

BUILD SHEET FORM STUDEBAKER MUSEUM I HAVE A 55 PREZ STATE COUPE
    THE BUILD SHEET READS AUTOMOBILE MODEL CODES 6H 1955 PREIDENT SPEEDSTER THE BODY STYLE CODES K- HARD TOP HAWK-TYPE
    BUILD SHEET ON MY 55 READS 6H C5 DUCAT WHATS THIS DUCAT MEAN MY TAG ON THE BODY 6H C5 THANK SPENCE

I believe that DUCAT is a code name for that particular model of Stude. Literally, a ducat is/was European coinage of days gone by. But that has little to do with the word being selected as a code word for your President unless you consider that it's worth some "coin" today![:0]

My '53 C3-trim Commander Starlight Coupe has a code name FORUM, while a 53 Commander Land Cruiser was a CORSAIR.

The purpose of these code words was to keep down the number of words needed to describe products or actions in Telex or Telegraph messages. In other words, make such communiques cheaper! Hard to fathom in this day of cellphones and E-mail, but each word was charged for.
    I've just been looking in the front of a parts book. While it doesn't have the code names for various models, it DOES instruct you how to do business with regards to parts, using their codeward system.
    Given what I see there, I could construct a telegram to the factory, asking how soon they could ship me a 53 Land Cruiser, by boat, to Duluth MN. Using codespeak, it would read "SHACK SPOON 1 CORSAIR?"

SHACK = How soon can you ship?
    SPOON = Ship by boat to Duluth.
    1 = (quantity of one)
    Corsair = 1953 Land Cruiser.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I believe that DUCAT is a code name for that particular model of Stude. Literally, a ducat is/was European coinage of days gone by. But that has little to do with the word being selected as a code word for your President unless you consider that it's worth some "coin" today![:0]

My '53 C3-trim Commander Starlight Coupe has a code name FORUM, while a 53 Commander Land Cruiser was a CORSAIR.

The purpose of these code words was to keep down the number of words needed to describe products or actions in Telex or Telegraph messages. In other words, make such communiques cheaper! Hard to fathom in this day of cellphones and E-mail, but each word was charged for.
      I've just been looking in the front of a parts book. While it doesn't have the code names for various models, it DOES instruct you how to do business with regards to parts, using their codeward system.
      Given what I see there, I could construct a telegram to the factory, asking how soon they could ship me a 53 Land Cruiser, by boat, to Duluth MN. Using codespeak, it would read "SHACK SPOON 1 CORSAIR?"

SHACK = How soon can you ship?
      SPOON = Ship by boat to Duluth.
      1 = (quantity of one)
      Corsair = 1953 Land Cruiser.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

See my reply in 'Production Order Numbers' above.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

See my reply in 'Production Order Numbers' above.

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
          X