No announcement yet.

Do it ourselves or pass the work along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it ourselves or pass the work along?

Keeping in mind that we are not the most mechanically-talented people in the SDC , we need some advice regarding seat belt installation. LuLu the Lark wagon came with lap belts in the front, but the kids are anxious to go for a ride as a family. We would like to install some lap belts in the back seat (we mainly just drive to shows, cruise-ins, and around town.) Are these something we can install on our own, or should we have someone do them professionally? If it's a simple install, we are happy to take it on. If it's a more complex project, we don't have a problem having someone else do it. We want to make sure that they are done correctly and are safe to use. Thanks in advance for any advice or insights you can give us!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

This is something you can easily do yourself. The later cars have the locations pre drilled with plugs installed. Not sure what year they started that. A 62 lark I did had the holes predrilled.
    Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

seatbelts are fairly simple. Be sure to install them in sound sheet metal and check that the holes drilled won't hit anything like the frame or fuel line underneath and the seat frames above. The giant flatwasher goes under the car. Mostly just common sense.
      Rob

Comment

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

J&T

If you can find predrilled holes for the belts and it is obvious that the sheet metal in that area is strong, then I'd say go for it personally.

If it get to the point that you can not find the factory location, I'd have it done. You'll need to buy the belts so they should be able to or know someone that can do a professional job.

Lord knows these are strange words coming from the keyboard of an original CASO do-it-yourselfer, but those belts hold the most precious cargo in the world and they are worth a pro install if you have any questions at all.

Just finished trucking four of my grandchildren around this morning and I'm amazed at how carefully I drive and belt them in when they are in the car. All of my streetrods have had well installed belts for just that reason.

Good luck and a great car.

Bob

Comment

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

J&T

If you can find predrilled holes for the belts and it is obvious that the sheet metal in that area is strong, then I'd say go for it personally.

If it get to the point that you can not find the factory location, I'd have it done. You'll need to buy the belts so they should be able to or know someone that can do a professional job.

Lord knows these are strange words coming from the keyboard of an original CASO do-it-yourselfer, but those belts hold the most precious cargo in the world and they are worth a pro install if you have any questions at all.

Just finished trucking four of my grandchildren around this morning and I'm amazed at how carefully I drive and belt them in when they are in the car. All of my streetrods have had well installed belts for just that reason.

Good luck and a great car.

I agree with Bob with this caveat...

Make sure the person/shop that is doing the install knows what THEY are doing. Anybody can bolt some seat belts to the floor. They have to know what they are doing so that they are in the correct spot to provide the proper geometry, so the floor is properly reinforced, and so the proper hardware (large hardened washers, grade 8 bolts, etc) are used. Also, make sure the seat belts you purchase are the correct length for your application and have the correct approval tag attached.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Unfortunately, the '60 won't have pre-drilled holes. With the station wagon you will also have to be very careful that the mounts and belts don't interfere with folding the seat back down (easy mistake to make- been there, done that).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

To answer your question directly. Pass the work on.
                  i detect doubt. Does that mean you don't get fun from
                  mechanin'?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I wouldn't trust the job to just anybody and since you are asking if you can do it yourself I think that in itself should tell you what to do. Them kids are more precious and more important than saving a couple bucks in lieu of a proper seat belt installation. Dan-----
                    "Poopsmart"
                    is what I call it.

Comment

Did I miss something? You guys got a Lark wagon now?? Awesome!! (I am green with envy!!)

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction.

Comment

Remember any seatbelt will reduce the risk of being injured in the event of a collision but will never eliminate the risk. A 3 point belt reduces the risk more than a lap belt, and a 4 point belt reduces the risk even further than a 3 point system, and a 5 point...well you get the point. Your kids are still really young, use a well designed booster seat in conjunction with a good lap belt and tether belt. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, consider installing a 3 point system for all passengers, that way all will be safer especially when your kids grow larger. I had to do that with my car, and now that my kids are older I feel more condfident with them having shoulder belts in addition to lap belts. Only problem is now they own their own cars and hardly ever want to come out with Dad in the Stude unless they get to drive it. Check the streetrod suppliers such as Julianos as they offer some kits that may help with installation.

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car. In my family since 1958.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I would talk to the people at Juliano's--they have been doing seat belts for hot rods and race cars for 40 years and probably will have correct belts and belt locations for your application. www.julianos.com

Jeff Jones
                          Tucson Arizona
                          1947 M-5

Comment

I'm mechanically challenged also but I installed 5 sets of seat belts in my '61 Rambler a couple of years ago. I bought them from Juliano's (www.julianos.com) and it was a pretty simple process. Just remove the back seat, drill 4 holes (you can use the middle two holes for two belts), and bolt them in. Make sure you use a couple of big washers (available from Juliano's) when you bolt them to the floor. The whole job should take less than two hours. Good luck....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

I'd be willing to bet there's a club member out there that has an original Studebaker seat belt kit with the appropriate instruction sheet. Should be easy to copy/scan on here??? Just a thought.

Dan Miller
                              Auburn, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Working...
                              X