1940 Commander owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Commander owner

I get so many calls like the one I got today that it drives me nuts trying to help. This time, a nice widow trying to finish her husbands 40 Commander 4 door. She just got it back from a "restoration" shop after 5 years and a $8000 bill and the guy had ground the paint off doing more harm then good. She is 28K into the car and it still needs paint, interior and is missing parts.
    She's 70 years old, not on the internet, and still wants to finish the car. I spent a half hour on the phone telling her about the forum and links to vendors that can help when she gets her daughter to help on the net. I explained the reality of what lies ahead as far as restoration costs, and really had no good news for her. It's so sad that a few shops have put her so upside down in the car without giving her, her moneys worth.
    If this was the only sad story I'd heard it would be one thing, but it's all to typical as Studebaker owners age. If she shows up here, lets do what we can to get her husbands car done.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

"Hummm", Where's the Overhaul people when we need them .

Comment

JDP-I just got off the phone with my 70 year old mother who happens to also have a 4 door Studebaker Commander with 28K into it-LOL. After agreeing to look for parts on-line, I happened upon this thread.
      Yes, you were talking to my mother; but somehow she called her son in Alaska to help, not her daughter. I'm in the Air Force and about as far away from the car as I can be, so this won't be easy. As you stated above, this car has been quite the nightmare for a few years. I wish she would have listened and just bought an older restoration or daily driver, but it's a sentimental car... She's going to have about $40K into a frame-ON painted car that has pitted chrome, etc. She has parts catalogs ordered, but until I can get some actual part numbers from her for the needed pieces I'm forced to look through the internet catalogs page by page. I've searched most of the links I've found on this site. I'm finding lots of stuff for Champions, but not much for Commanders. By the way, it is a 1939.
      Sorry for the long post, especially for a NooB. If anyone could help out with some links or actual parts to purchase it would be greatly appreciated! NOS or used parts would be fine. I am looking for an entire trunk handle/latch assembly, 4 outside door handles, and 1 hubcap (to start with).

Comment

It is important to be sure re the year since almost nothing will interchange between 1939 and 1940. Any photos? I do have some parts including the hub caps.

Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Going backward here, but what the heck was done for 5 years and 8K that left it in this condition? A serious visit to the owner of that shop, the local prosecutor and a report to the local BBB sounds in order. Seems that this shop needs to man up and make good on this one. That's grand theft (if over 5K, IIRC) by deception if they just buzzed the paint off and left it like that. The prosecutors office may wake them up. Phone calls by anyone else probably won't stir any conscience.
          Good luck, Gravel Road. I hope you can get some help for your mother here. Post some pics soon.

Comment

Guys, thanks for the assistance. I will confirm the year, but I was always told it was a 39 by my dad. I'll see if I can get somebody to scan in some pictures and send them to me, but it may take a few days.
            Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done to the guy who started on the car and did all the grinding. He's out of business and I think in jail for drugs. Just glad the car was removed from his shop before that happened.
            The car has since had the body damage repaired and it's mostly painted. I believe the fenders are going on it soon. Then it's going to another shop for interior/glass install and all the million and one details that still need to be completed.
            Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X