Recommendations for vehicle shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for vehicle shipping?

I have someone interested in my '56 Champion hot rod who lives about 3000 miles from here. I haven't shipped a car in many years--the last time was about 10 years ago. Do any of you have a favored company or person and what's the going rate "coast to coast" these days? Thanks for any and all input!

When I bought my car in 2003, I had Enclosed Vehicle Transport (http://www.enclosedvehicletransport.com/) move mine from Houston to Northern CA. The fact that they are still around and appear to have grown is a good sign. They were competitive on pricing for an enclosed transport, great communication, I knew where the car was all the way. Actually arrived a little early. They are car folks too, so they appreciate what they are carrying.

Pat

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

YES! Pegtrucking.com . You can speak to Peg directly. She's very knowledgeable about transporting Studes specifically. Have used her many times.

Last quote I got from CA to NY was $1200. That's for over 3000 miles. Give get a call- highly recommended.

Good luck!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Call Ray's Car shippping
        301-483-7978 Speak with Jane

I used them last week. She was cheaper that Peg. Quality work. Tell her you are a studebaker member and that you were referred by Roy Valdez

They are located in Laurel Maryland

Comment

I have a friend that owns a local LTL trucking company here in Richmond. I have used him for shipping everything from engines, farm tractors, crawler loaders, trucks, cars and even a couple of horse drawn vehicles. He charges by the foot of deck space and all items ride inside an enclosed trailer.

This may not be a viable option for all, but it works for me. The drivers are used to hauling tractors back for Keith so they know how to take care of stuff. Just a small sample of what Keith owns:

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:YES! Pegtrucking.com
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

quote:YES! Pegtrucking.com
              Got quotes from a low of $1000 to a high of $2350 Peg was second lowest.

Comment

One note about Peg- knowing Studes well, she makes sure her drivers know that Studes need to be "soft-tied'. Many do not.

Whoever is thinking about this car- if it helps, you can have it shipped to me in CNY; I'll store it and, once the roads are clean, will make sure it stays exercised until you come and get it- no charge!!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

John Poulos would know he's the National high volume Studebaker dealer for the SDC. All kidding aside he buys and sales a lot of cars and can recommend some good transporters.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

John Poulos would know he's the National high volume Studebaker dealer for the SDC. All kidding aside he buys and sales a lot of cars and can recommend some good transporters.
                    ...and he'll recommend only one: Peg Transport

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Sacramento to Toledo ran me $1800.00 during summer of 2008. Gas was $4.50 a gal so I thought that wasn't too bad a deal through reliable carriers. And that was also for an enclosed trailer.

Packardbakerly,
                      J.D.
                      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                      J.D.

Comment

I also recommend Peg Trucking, Inc. She has brought several Studebakers and one or two VW's from all over creation for me.
                        ('55 Conestoga from CA, VW Bus from Cedar Rapids, '61 Lark from OH, '60 Lark Stationwagon from NY)

Most recently she arranged the transport of the 1956 Studebaker School Bus across PA from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.

Give her a call: 608-756-0033. She's based in Janesville WI.
                        Peg will treat you and your Studebaker right. [^]
                        JWW

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

...and he'll recommend only one: Peg Transport
                          I'm taking your advice Bams,i was also looking for a tramsporter i contacted her via the web site it wasn't the lowest quote (close however)but the fact that there wasn't a lot of if's attached to it. And the personal response instead of a form letter that sealed the deal for me.

Comment

Good, Phil. My experience is, there's usually somebody a little cheaper; but for the small price difference you get a known-quality shipper you can talk to directly. The shipping business is full of shysters and hustlers; having Peg in our corner is a real comfort. Good luck!

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                            X