Shifting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting problems

I'm having difficulty shifting into second gear with my 3 on the tree 2R5 pick-up.

Are there bushings or something in the linkage that needs to be replaced? If so, where would I find the parts? I looked through SI catalog but really don't know what to look for.

Jon Stalnaker
    Editor, Hawk Talks
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Check your motor mounts.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Just learn to adjust your technique. When you shift from first to second, lift the lever straight up, past neutral about 1/4 inch- THEN drop to neutral, push away, and up into second. Sounds more complicated than it is. This will allow the levers to switch from the R/1 gate to the 2/3 without hanging together, which is what they want to do when they get worn.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Yah, my '53 does that if I get impatient. I found out one day I could get into overdrive in first that way. I carry a long, half inch box end wrench, when it happens I pull over, shut off the engine, pop the hood, and pull up on the errant lever. If the car is on a grade, I gotta rock it a little. It sure beats crawling under it and burning your arm on the exhaust. I've been told that shortening the 1st/ rev. link will help, haven't tried that yet.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I believe most 3 speed Trucks have a little grease box around the shift shaft and levers on the steering column under the hood, you can add grease by opening the plug. That, a good adjustment and new bushings (grommets) on the trans. levers should make it like new. [^]

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

After replacing the gromets if the shifting does not improve you may have to pull the shift tube and weld up the engagement ear. iT will wear out again if you drive much.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            61 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            63 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            45 Agricat
            67 Triumph T100
            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Just learn to adjust your technique. When you shift from first to second, lift the lever straight up, past neutral about 1/4 inch- THEN drop to neutral, push away, and up into second. Sounds more complicated than it is. This will allow the levers to switch from the R/1 gate to the 2/3 without hanging together, which is what they want to do when they get worn.
              The problem has been intermittant. I drove the truck a lot this week-end and using your shifting technique, I had no problems getting into second gear. I still think something is worn out, however, armed with your method, I can procrastinate getting it fixed. [^]

Jon Stalnaker
              Editor, Hawk Talks
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Yes, something is worn out. I've been waiting almost 10 years for inspiration to fix it. I spent two or three years trying to adjust the linkage between the steering column and the gear box, nothing seems to help. I started with new grommets, that helped some, but if I forget and try a speed shift, it sticks in first every time.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                ....On the road, again....
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Check out the April 2008 Turning Wheels. There is an adjustment procedure outlined in the Co-Operator. It worked for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X